• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please help

Purple XJ

NAXJA Forum User
To make it simple i did a coolant flush new thermostat 195* new thermostat housing flush whole system and now it wont run above 140 while driving but if i let it sit for a while idling it will warm up. its a 1999 4.0

i put the thermostat in correctly and its the third one i tried all the ones i get are from auto barn i just tried bleeding the system again i got alot of air out of the system and its staying around 180 now but as i drove it still went down in temp quick

is the temperature sensor reading correctly? seems like it is getting a backward signal or something maybe it's giving a false reading.

1. Your temperature gauge reading is coming from the PCM's interpretation of CTS data it has received.

2. Check the connection to the CTS in the thermostat housing.

...Did a coolant flush, new thermostat 195*, new thermostat housing, flush whole system and now it wont run above 140 while driving, but if I let it sit for a while idling it will warm up. It's a 1999 4.0

On a 99 would it make a difference if there was thread sealer on the sensor?...and to OP is there thread sealer on the CTS?

Hey Paradise,

I think I answered this question wrong last week and it was determined that on the later models teflon tape or thread lock is not an issue - just the earlier models with the 2 sensors the 1 wire one at the rear needed contact to the block.

By the way, you never did confirm if the hottie in the XJ pic on the post a couple of weeks ago really was your daughter.

Hey Paradise,

I think I answered this question wrong last week and it was determined that on the later models teflon tape or thread lock is not an issue -

Oops...I forgot about the two wire part. I mush have had my mind on a few aftermarket sensors I am installing.

Back