• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

won't start - machine gun noise?

katuah

NAXJA Forum User
OK, this is probably one of those "shoulda known" questions, but here goes. My rig is not a DD, and sometimes sits a couple weeks between drives. Never had a problem starting it until today. I get in, turn the key, and this LOUD noise happens, sounds like a cross between a machine gun and a very fast teletype, almost a buzz but WAY more rattling. No actual cranking. Lights, gauges, etc are all on. Could this just be a dead battery? It's had a dead battery before, never sounded like this... afraid something worse is wrong.

I'll put it on the trickle charger tonight. Dang I would not have called that noise a "click."

The connections are good, I just put a full set of Kelley/5-90's new wires & terminals on maybe 6 months ago and cleaned everything spotless. No, I'm thinking I must have something pulling more juice than I thought. I just put in a CB about 2 months ago, maybe it pulls a weak trickle or something. I may need to rig a disconnect.

Grab a hammer and take a whack at the starter, then try to start it. If connections are good, including main ground at the coil location(ohm it out), then you need another starter.

Back