• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would you guys..

TA2Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
..touch this? I'm supposed to go look at it after work tonight.

Here's the ad: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/2263894809.html

Some other info he sent me by email: Got home a little while ago and started looking through the file on the Jeep. Smog was done in November (time flys) so it would need to be smogged. The pan gasket may have a little leak. The rear part of the pan is oily. When I put on the trans cooler I also installed a little Auto Meter trans temp gage. I have never got it to work. All the factory gages work though. The trans gage and sensor should be good, I purchased it new.
It is an older truck and is not perfect, but it has been very reliable.

Pics he sent me:

012.jpg

014.jpg

001.jpg

006.jpg

011.jpg

021.jpg

019.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

008.jpg

010.jpg

Thanks, in advance, to those who reply and offer advice / assistance..

Looks okay to me, but not at that price. I would probably pay $15-2000 for it...just depend on how it drives and runs. The oily pan is probably a rear main seal, fairly common.

what do you plan to do with the jeep? if you plan to lift it, bigger tires, re-gear, lockers, ect. then i would save your money and buy one that is allready done the way you want it. you will save in the long run big time. plus you get a rig ready to run. if you just want to run what you see in the pics, and dont plan to modify then compare it to all the others available. i see alot of good deals on mostly stock XJs. remember that the seller is responsible for smog. the fact that he installed a trans cooler is good, but it also tells me he used it to tow. just things to consider.

Looks okay to me, but not at that price. I would probably pay $15-2000 for it...just depend on how it drives and runs. The oily pan is probably a rear main seal, fairly common.

That was my thought about it pricewise, but like any somewhat decent XJ, he's already gotten a ton of calls on it and I'd imagine is looking to stand pretty firm on his price. He's giving me the 1st crack at it (Supposedly) and is not taking any lookers until I get my chance as I was the 1st person to call him about it last night (1st for once, in this month long ordeal of XJ hunting!).

what do you plan to do with the jeep? if you plan to lift it, bigger tires, re-gear, lockers, ect. then i would save your money and buy one that is allready done the way you want it. you will save in the long run big time. plus you get a rig ready to run. if you just want to run what you see in the pics, and dont plan to modify then compare it to all the others available. i see alot of good deals on mostly stock XJs. remember that the seller is responsible for smog. the fact that he installed a trans cooler is good, but it also tells me he used it to tow. just things to consider.

My end goal for a Jeep is 3" lift w/ 31s and a front locker. I'm not too keen on buying other people's builds and spending a little bit extra on the parts side to do it the way I want, with equipment that I choose is worth it to me. Besides, I would think that a stocker is less likely to have been abused / rode hard than an already built rig. I know there are going to be exceptions, but this is my general thinking. I don't have a problem running it as it is right now to cut my teeth on for a while. He did tow jetski / waverunner with it, but not very often. He's had it for about 4 years and has put on about 15k miles in that time..

My main point of concern looking at the pics, is if that seems to be too much rusting underneath?

Thanks guys!

I bought my 1992 4.0l aw4 d35'd rig with 165k on the ticker for $2000.00 2 years ago.

After owning it 2 years I've put about 800.00 of preventative/refurb parts into it, doing all the work myself so far. It's been 100% reliable.

For example, I just put $140.00 into my driveshafts to have them rebuilt. They hadn't failed, I was simply able to notice a growl/vibe coming from them, and I didn't want them to eat themselves alive, leaving me with a bigger bill. Basically 2 years of those types of "18 year old parts" giving up the ghost.

I'd expect the same from the rig you're looking at. Personally, I'm the same way, I didn't want someone else's project. I wanted a classic cherokee that was loved by it's owner, who was simply ready to offload it.

And, no, I don't think that rust is an issue, if it's not rusty in the body itself.

Good luck!

Looks to be in pretty good shape for its age. Fwiw I bought a virgin 97 for 3k, and my 91 for 800 she still runs like a champ from what I've been told. What ever you buy take your time and look it over very closely. My 97 on the outside looked great I was deployed at the time so I sent my wife to take a look at it. All I really wanted to make sure was that it ran good, trans worked well and so on. When I got home I discovered a cracked windshield a shattered exhaust manifold, motor mounts with no rubber, rear main leak. I have sensef fixed all but the rms and an electrical gremlin that is lurking in my dash(only affects ins lights)biggest t
hing was some damage that was hidden behind the front bumper on the foward frame rail. Just my 2 cents take your time and really look at what you are buying inside and out don't feel rushed into buying anything, in the long run you'll end up paying more.

Hey man sorry I didnt respond to your pm earlier, my sister is in town this week for spring break and have been busy showing her around. She leaves tomorrow morning so ill be available if you want to come and see my heep. As for the jeep your looking at it looks good but price is too high IMO. Although it seems the price of jeeps and used cars in general have sky rocketed lately. I first bought my 89 for 1400 bucks and it had a 3" lift at the time, then I bought my 88 last year for 500 bucks, ran good just needed some tlc. Like I said earlier my buddy has a 90 four door with 3" lift just has motor issues, but hes probably selling cheap like 600 bucks cheap...I told him that it will sell in one day for that price. lol

Back