• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering column interchange

RenegadeT

NAXJA Forum User
what years steering column will directly bolt and plug in to my '91 XJ (4.0L/AW4/231/no airbags)?
I was going to try and splice the connections from my '95 with airbag, but the mounting footprint is different. At that point, I figured a trip to the JY would be quicker and easier.

I think the only thing that would fit would be early model (pre 1996) cherokees and comanches. Maybe someone else can specify more.

For your 91 IIRC the direct bolt on is 91-94, 95 has the airbag, and I think something changed in from 90-91 with the HO switchover(something with wiring plugs on the column, but 90 and older may also be a plug and play, or only require minor wire splicing).

You can install the airbag column from a 95/96, but its not a direct bolt in as you have already noted.

While we use a GM steering column with many common parts with other GM models(I still have nightmarish flashbacks to having to take them apart) as far as I know no other columns are a direct bolt in.

and I think something changed in from 90-91 with the HO switchover(something with wiring plugs on the column, but 90 and older may also be a plug and play, or only require minor wire splicing).

hate to hijack, but any more info on pre and post renix steering column compatibility? my tilt is extremely loose and i think a new column would be an easier swap the taking apart the column to fix the tilt.

To the OP the drop-in interchange is 91-93 (earlier is the RENIX interface and 94-up was the switchover to airbags)

Easiest way to find interchange data is go to car-part.com and search for the part/year and it will tell you the junkyard parts that will interchange

hate to hijack, but any more info on pre and post renix steering column compatibility? my tilt is extremely loose and i think a new column would be an easier swap the taking apart the column to fix the tilt.

I sounds worse than it is.

Just buy the correct tool from Lisle--Amazon.com usually has the best prices--and study some of the numerous posts on the internet, many with really good pictures, and you can get it done.

Lisle tool: http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-19940-P..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1300770839&sr=8-1

Use blue Loctite rather than the red you might see. Use the red and if you EVER need to get it apart in the future you will need C4.

yeah i have the ability, its just intimidating looking at all of the pictures and how many small parts there are in there. but spring break is next week and this NEEDS to be addressed, it has a good 1"+ of play in it...

Back