• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Tcase do I have ?

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
96 Cherokee Sport

Was looking around underneath yesterday, thinking I had a bad trans mount, and noticed my tcase is a 231j, but looks like it has a SYE snout on it, and the stock driveshaft.

All the pics I see of 231j's have a long snout on them, but mine don't. Has a previosu owner done some bastardization on this thing ?

No,thats a stock 96+ t-case!

Clean off the ID tag on the rear of the T-case and read it. The second half of the serial number is the date code. Year-Month.

standard.jpg

There's some play in the driveshaft to output shaft, and I'm thinking that is my vibe source.

I do have a 3" lift on it. Think a tcase drop kit will help ?

Could. The slip yoke on the output of the trans has pulled out a bit with the lift. Could be output bearing is crapping out, but I'd drop the TC an inch to see if it goes away. Just some square tube a drill and longer bolts is an easy way to test.

On my 96, I've got 3" and there's a bit of a wa wa wa wa at speeds over 35. First thought it was tires but after new ones I'm thinking axle bearings.

Shouldn't need a TC drop on a 96 really.

Are your DS U joints all good?
I'm replacing mine soon.It's got 156K on the originals ans still strong though.

FWIW a little play is fine. Check right by putting trans AND TC in neutral and chock wheels then test and twist. Mine's got some play untill I do the previous then it's nice n tight aside from normal backlash.

Back