• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finally did some wheeling this weekend

cheapcherokee93

<----boat-manche
well i finally got to do some off roading this past Saturday. Went with a group of friends to the El Paso mountains where we did some jawbone canyon and last chance canyon trails. Went to the Burro Schmidt tunnel, checked out an old mine that is still kept up today by some guy (the name of the mine escapes me) and just did a full day of wheeling. here are a few pics of the trip:
Stopping for breakfast
IMG_0062.jpg

stopping at the Jawbone canyon visitor center
the whole group minus a TJ and a Tacoma:
IMG_0064.jpg

the wind was so strong it blew this cardboard up against my friends XJ:
IMG_0066.jpg

Fred (Explorer1) 1st try going up a steep rock obstacle(there was a way around it):
IMG_0070.jpg

made it most of the way up:
IMG_0072.jpg

my XJ along with the FJ:
IMG_0078.jpg

2nd try, made it a little further. because of the angle there wasnt enough tranny fluid getting to the TC.
IMG_0080.jpg

Jeff in his Tacoma decides to try it out:
IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

hung up on the crossmember:
IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

2nd try
IMG_0091.jpg

something snapped...
IMG_0092.jpg

i wonder what everyones looking at?
IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

:roll:

wouldnt go forward, couldnt go back because of the spare, so we used the winch to get him over the rocks:

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

poser shot
IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

had some trouble getting the FJ over the rocks
IMG_0108.jpg

our group all lined up:
IMG_0109.jpg

total of 5 XJs, 1 TJ, an FJ cruiser and a Tacoma

we were getting ready to tackle this nice looking hill.

and i did the hill as well, it was pretty steep but i had no issues. the 31s gripped very well.

the mine we visited:
IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

into the mine shaft to walk 1500 ft. where it exited the other side of the mountain
IMG_0127-1.jpg

'nother hill climb:
IMG_0130-1.jpg

nice looking XJ behind me ;)
(and im representing Socal NAXJA)
IMG_0131-1.jpg

nice looking Tacoma in my mirror
IMG_0134-1.jpg

just thought this shot looked cool
IMG_0136-1.jpg

yeah, another poser shot. i could've gone futher up the hill but i didnt...oh well
IMG_0142-1.jpg

narrowest part of the canyon:
IMG_0144-1.jpg

aired up, sway bar connected and reluctantly ready to head home (i wanted to do some more wheeling)
IMG_0145-1.jpg

i had a blast and really enjoyed finding out what my XJ is capable of (still havent discovered its full capabilities). i just need to get more ballsy, and still be able to drive the thing home when im done

speaking of driving, i HATED driving that thing on the highway. with the 31s i have to run in 3 almost all the time just to maintain 60 MPH+. going 65 in 3rd it would run about 3100 RPM, if i put it in D it'd obviously shift and go to 2300 RPM and slowly bog down. i could really only use over drive going down hill. it also ran hotter than usual (not overheating). everything in my cooling system has been replaced and it runs fine with my street 29" tires, so i suspect that my engine is just getting old and tired (it has 208k miles) hence the extra heat and lack of power. gears are now at the top of my upgrade list.

ok, rant over. i hope you enjoyed my pics :D

Where is this at? I did a google search and two places came up. Looks fun.

[FONT=&quot]Burro Schmidt Tunnel - [/FONT][FONT=&quot]35°24'38"N 117°52'28"W[FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]

From my trip in January. Took the wife's bone stock '06 Pilot there, on Kumho street tires. Came in off of the 14, made a very wrong turn down Bonanza Gulch Trail. Got to Burro Schmidt's and then exited out to Randsburg Road via Mesquite Canyon road. Also made it all the way up through the soft gulch sand, until the rock gardens begin in Last Chance Canyon from the Ransburg Road side. This was the trip that got me to decide to get rid of my fast toy for a dirt toy as my boy had too much fun..

Playing in the ash mines

P1020602.jpg

Inside Burro Scmidts

P1020618.jpg

Made it out!

P1020622.jpg

View at the end

P1020623.jpg

Made it out of the El Pasos with no damage! Bonus!

P1020624.jpg

Next Stop

P1020632.jpg

Darwin Gas?

P1020633.jpg

Fire!

P1020637.jpg

South Side of Darwin

P1020642.jpg

Darwin Library

P1020652.jpg

Heading Home

P1020655.jpg

P1020649.jpg

seeing the pics of your boy along with you is awsome. cool kid. when i get my jeep done i would really like to hook up with these type of runs. thanks for sharing.

Does my heart good!

It always does my heart good to see a Jeep winching out a stuck Toyota. Jeff won't live that down for a while! :yelclap:

Thanks for sharing Matt,

Fred
Explorer 1

P.S. My daughter followed me down Last Chance several years ago in her Honda CRV in the rain!

Re: Does my heart good!

It always does my heart good to see a Jeep winching out a stuck Toyota. Jeff won't live that down for a while! :yelclap:
Yep....winching out Jeff was a fine moment for us XJ guys :greensmok
those toyota guys just need to learn that its call a SOLID axle :D

thanks for all the compliments guys, im glad you all enjoyed the pics!

P.S. My daughter followed me down Last Chance several years ago in her Honda CRV in the rain!

in a CRV!?:shocked:

this had to have been when she had the mud terrains on, although i guess its got pretty decent ground clearance and its narrow enough to fit through most places.

Pilots on the other hand dont do so well :rof:

Back