• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB wiring question.

Whitetaild33r

NAXJA Forum User
So im going to install my CB above the mirror, and i was wondering if there would be any problems with tapping into the wiring harness that goes to the dome light as a power source for the CB radio?

Idk what guage wire it is. As a rule of thumb, if the wires you're tapping into are as big or bigger then it should be OK. To be sure I'd go the extra mile and run it to the fuse box. But that's just OCD me.

now this may be a dumb thought/question since i haven't had dome lights or their wiring in mine for about 5yrs, but wouldn't that make it only get power if the door was open or switch in the headlight switch was on?

I used a multimeter and did find a constant power on. I'll probly just run it to the fuse box instead the wire looks smaller than the one on the CB, however the jacket on the CB cable looks much thicker than the actual wire.

Do yourself a favor and just wire it directly to the battery. Less electrical noise/interference in the power feed that way. That goes for both the positive and the negative wires. And do not forget to use a fuse. Most not all CB's that I have run(mostly Cobra's) all run a 3amp glass style fuse...

I have mine above the mirror and I wired mine directly to the battery. Power wires went down the driver-side A pillar and the antenna wire went down the passenger-side A pillar.

Back