• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring Issue

alever

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I'm almost done finishing my jeep that I bought last month, just a couple of issues left. One of them is in regards to the rear passenger window. It wasn't working, so we got another window motor from the junkyard because the other motor was not getting any power. We put it in and it still wasn't working. However, when my dad jumped it, he could get it to go up and down without problems. Now, we discovered the drivers rear window was not working either, except when you put it up or down by the drivers door. So neither rear windows go up or down with the rear switches, but the driver side rear will go up and down by using the drivers switch.

Also, when I bought the jeep it didn't come with the remote. We called a dealer and he said that the jeep did have a remote for it. I ordered one off of ebay and tried to program it with the DRB scan tool, it wouldn't program. We got another remote as well as the transmitter dome light from a junkyard, and tried to program it, and it still didn't work. The door lock switches do work though.

Sorry for the long writeup, but were just not sure if these two issues could be related and if there is common fuse or circuit or something that the doors and windows would share?? :read:

Ok, so apparently this year range had a problem with the drivers window lock switch after a while. The solders would get cracks in them. I'm not sure if this is the issue or if there is just something wrong elsewhere. We tested the wires leading to the switch, and they were all getting power except the green/white wire, which I believe is the window switch?

The window lock switch grounds the circuit to complete it. This means that the ground for the window motors is not at each door but comes all the way back to the drivers door control. The problem also should affect the passengers window. Note: if the individual rear door switches don't work but the rear windows do work with the drivers door switches, the problem is the lock out switch staying open. Some people say that they can clean the switch but I've has little luck that way. Another way is to bypas the lock out switch by grounding a wire in the left kick panel. I don't remember the color code though. Check your years wiring diagrams in the service manual. If you want to replace the switch, stay away from used ones or the junk yard. Good Luck.

Back