• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn Hub Conversion ???

Ben H

NAXJA Forum User
I have a Dana 30/44, 5x5.5 warn hub conversion sitting on an old dana 30 in storage. I also have a 79' Ford F-250 Dana 44 that I am going to put under my new DD XJ. The 44 has been shortened and consists of the housing/internals only...so I will need to source knucles out. It would definately save me some coin if I could use this Warn Hub Conversion on the 44. I'm not sure if it will fit on a CJ spindle.

Any thoughts on the ability to use the Warn hub conversion on a CJ spindle/Chevy knuckle combo...Possibly redrill the proprietary grooved Warn Spindle to fit a Chevy knuckle? Been done before?

Reasoning for wanting to use the Hub Conversion include:

5x5.5 pattern
30 Spline outers, 1.31" outers
I already own the parts and this is only going with 33"s

Thanks,

Ben

Wouldn't the Warn spindle be set up to bolt to an XJ knuckle, three bolts, and the CJ spindle be five bolts? I think you'd have to re-drill something, and I'd be a little wary of doing anything that could get off center, like the spindle in the knuckle.

I'd probably sell the Warn conversion and buy what you need. Go hi steer while you're at it.

CJ Spindle is 6 bolt. I know the Warn is 3 bolts, thats why I asked about drilling the warn spindle. The Warn conversion is essentially Dana 60 size outer shafts and beef hubs, thats why I want to use it, if possible.

I am just sourcing parts right now, but can go with any of the Reid knuckles and any spindle to make this work.

Let me rephrase...Will the Warn Hub kit fit on any other Spindle. Or can I modify the Warn spindle to fit on any D44 knuckle.

Thanks

My thought is you could might be able to source all the the 5x5.5 Ford knuckles and hubs for probably less than what you could sell the D30 hub kit for?

But...Then I'm stuck with regular 44 outers. I'd like to use the Warn outers for their strength. If they dont work, I'll pawn them, but right now I'm just trying to see if they will work.

Thanks

60 outs and 44 ins isn't going to be any stronger than 44s on both ends, you're just moving the likelyhood of a break to the inner shaft.

60 outs and 44 ins isn't going to be any stronger than 44s on both ends, you're just moving the likelyhood of a break to the inner shaft.

Because...

The hub will still be the weak point

I already own these outers, they are better than stock D44 outers, and if finding a different spindle or machining the Warn spindle is possible, then it will save money for other things.

Is the lockable hub conversion the main drive behind this question? I guess I'm failing to grasp the reasoning behind it.

that seems like an awful lot of work just to run 33's. why not just sell the cut hp44 and hub conversion and a set of chromo's for the front and call it done.

If I had a other spindles laying around I'd be able to figure this out on my own.

I don't really give a damn what you guys think I should do. This hub conversion is beefy, already has chromolly and 30 spline hubs. Essentially Dana 60 outers. I don't care about selling them and pocketing money. I want these to go into a well built 79' HP Dana 44.

I'm looking for someone that has tried this and succeeded or failed. Or someone who knows a lot about these Hub Conversions.

I personally don't think they can be modified to work, but if they can, then that would be Titties!!

Probably not going to get much help here.

Dude. D44 outers are 30 spline...

Good luck.

Well some are 19 and some are 30.

Jk for one.

Back