• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Problem

CodyJames

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ

I noticed when I was in a parking lot, I turned the steering wheel all the way over to the left pulling into a spot, and the Jeep would kinda jerk a little, Almost like the way my dad truck does in four wheel drive. When it was turned all the way in any direction, and you drove, it would makes a light knocking sound, and the jeep would jerk lightly. What could be loose or worn out?

Thanks

Sounds like a u-joint on one of the front axle shafts.

Could be U-Joint. When I brake I get a light kluncking sound to, but I think that sound is in the back.

What am I looking at paying for new U Joints? I dont realy want to do them myself seeing it could be one of those things that if you don't do right, it could make me wreck.

A pair of U-joints will run you about $30. To have them installed is probably $200 plus $80 in parts.

make sure that when your alignment is right and that when you turn lock to lock the knuckle hits the stops on both sides.

if your towed in or out too far one tire will try to turn in in one circle and the other will try to turn you in a different circle, creating wheel hop.

other than that, a U-Joint is the most likely culprit.

Back