• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Preparing for Harlan

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Here are some basic tips you will want to pay attention to when wheeling at Harlan.

1. The event is held in July. It will be hot so be sure your cooling system is up to par. Make sure you e-fans work. The trip up the mountain includes a series of steep switchbacks. You will get hot climbing to the top

2. Harlan is steep. Many of the trails are carved into the side of the mountain. Make sure your brakes are in tip-top shape. You will need them.

3. Gas is available in Harlan. If your rig isn't registered, you can get gas on the other side of the mountain. They will let you drive on the highway with no tags.

4. Please be sure to pay attention to departure times. The trails are narrow up the mountain and it will be difficult for groups to pass each other. More details to follow on the schedule.

5. Plan to eat on the trail both days. It takes a long time to travel up and down the mountain so bring drinks (non-alcoholic) and food with you.

6. Rangers patrol the mountain so be sure you buy your park pass for the event. It is NOT part of the registration fees. A pass can be bought at the campground office.

Don't forget Harlan is a dry county.

Very dry and if you make the 15 minute drive to the closest beer you will only find the regular stuff(Bud, Miller, Natty, etc), no small brews or anything that you can't see through. So if that's your thing stop and get some in a bigger town before you get to Harlan.

And if you bring Jager, be sure to have a frog giggin stick.

Pants and boots are a good idea. Even though it is hot my group ran into a rattle snake while eating lunch and it keeps the ticks off

x a million on long pants.

This was miserable:
0712101516.jpg

and I pulled 4 ticks off my thighs in the shower that afternoon.

i drove 15 miles and all i found was bud light and the special edition Busch in Mossy oak breakup cans.... your choice of course

Doug, you know I don't drink, Right? :dunno:

Thanks for the info. This will be our first trip and all info is appreciated

It is very dusty if dry. If you are sensitive to the dust consider a mask, Asian bird flu style.

We would rather have dusty than wet. Trust me on that.

the video I saw of lower damnation with a river running through it looked like fun. How bad can it be, at least it will be warmer than 35.

I would bet Harlan wet would be like Tellico wet. Damn near impossible for most!

Even the trek up the mountain from camp would be an adventure wet.

I would bet Harlan wet would be like Tellico wet. Damn near impossible for most!

I don't mind watching you guys try stuff! :D

I don't mind watching you guys try stuff! :D

We can do like Travis did for me at Tellico one year.... I can hook you up one at a time and drag you up the mountain! Your own your own for the downhill slide though! LOL! :cheers:

Ed, good list...

i would also like to add, having a CB radio is a MUST... and making sure it works is probably a good idea too... cell service is scarce on the trails, if something were to happen.

Back