• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rings and pinions install need advise

01erionracing

NAXJA Forum User
I am ordering rear lunchbox locker(Aussie) and 4.56 rings and pinions for my D30/8.25 and going to install them myself. I have never done this before and wanted to learn and experience the rearend rebuilt. Does anything that I need to be awared of? Any advise appreciate.

Unless you have a good set of instructions and some special tools you should not try doing an installation. It is easy to ruin your investment if you have never set up gears.

If the axles are out of the vehicle and sitting on a bench, you have all the time you ever wanted and the correct tools. It can be done. Under the Jeep with a Wallmart 20 piece tool kit and some drunk buddies helping on Sunday and you work on Monday.... Pass on that.

Their are a few specialized tools:

12-20 ton shop press
Bearing puller for Pinion so you dont ruin it taking it off 3 or 5 times to set pinion
Bearing preload adjuster (made mine)
Dial in/lb torque wrench
couple of cheap Chinese wrenches (these you toss when your pinion is not right and you need to disassemble AGAIN!!!!)
shim gauge set for the aussie install
4" angle grinder (to shave the 'ears' off the 8.25)
disk brakes off a +95 GC (might as well when the rear is all apart)

From what I was told don't buy the Master rebuild kit (like I did). Get the regular bearing kit and a full shim kit. I made my setup work with a mix of the 3 same size shims that came in my master kit and the old ones.

This job can be done and be successful if you are mechanically inclined, know the difference between ft/lb and in/lb, know the importance of measuring tolerance, .010 of one inch is very important. Don't just say "Baaaa its close enough.." Close enough can make loud expensive noises.

dirtwezle
Thanks for your detail about the tools listed.
The axles will be out of the vehicle during the gears setup and I have another vehicle to use during this process. I have all hand tools airtools and power tools needed but the special tools for the rearend i am working on it.
Also the disc conversion is ready and waiting to be installed as well.

Look at the gear patterns and make sure to follow the instructions to the letter. If it doesn't look right and you can't get it perfect...stop and call someone to come do it for you. Better to spend a few hundred on an expert opinion than to ruin a set of gears AND have to spend that money all over again plus the extra for install.

Back