• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sharp rocks in Socal?

Cherikon

NAXJA Forum User
Not that I am a noob, but I am curious where the trails are that you (very loose term for the fine wheelin brethren of NAXJA Socal) won't allow BFG tires on due to sidewall damage concerns.....

I am in the market for tires and I am trying really hard to compromise for a tire that will do well in many situations for wheeling down here. I usually run Goodyear MT/R's, but everywhere is out of stock and they are stupid expensive in the size I need at this moment.

So where are the sharp rock trails? Johnson Valley?

Please educate a young patron of the rock crawling arts.....

I need some justification as to why or when I won't be allowed on a trail with BFG's or similar tire brand.

Again, just to re-emphasize, I USUALLY run MT/R's and love them.... availability is killing my selection choice and I don't want to be left sitting at the trailhead watching all the "cool" kids have all the fun....

Thanks in advance!

you know the only place i cut up my sidewalls was on gold mountian in big bear i tore up two tires on the same day they had just "groomed the trail" with a doser

Sledgehammer got me.

DSCN0003.jpg

Nobody is going to tell you to stay home due to your tire choice...unless they are bald and rotted.

But yeah, BFG's suck, and rocks are sharp here.

you know the only place i cut up my sidewalls was on gold mountian in big bear i tore up two tires on the same day they had just "groomed the trail" with a doser

What he said X2, but I sliced up an MTR with 150 miles on it on Gold Mountain. Right from the tire shop to the trail, it was a goner. No warranty.

Nobody is going to tell you to stay home due to your tire choice...unless they are bald and rotted.

But yeah, BFG's suck, and rocks are sharp here.

Cracker posted this in another tire thread:
As I said in the past, there are occasional runs where BFG tires are NOT ALLOWED because of the ease it is to slice the heck out of them. I love my BFG ATs on my tow rig but off road they suck worse than Cal's driving.

Probably how this got started :lecture:

Cracker posted this in another tire thread:
As I said in the past, there are occasional runs where BFG tires are NOT ALLOWED because of the ease it is to slice the heck out of them. I love my BFG ATs on my tow rig but off road they suck worse than Cal's driving.

Probably how this got started :lecture:

Yeah and I was with Cal when he destroyed two MT/Rs at Truckhaven...that's all sand and gravel.

Thank you gents for offering up some info on the matter- how do Toyo M/T's do?

Of course if MT/R's are getting waxed on trails, next step is bias something or another's.... not too good for a DD though.:gee:

Yeah and I was with Cal when he destroyed two MT/Rs at Truckhaven...that's all sand and gravel.

Cal is the only person I know who can destroy tires like nobody's business. :) Asking him about the Rubicon experience and then coming back from JV a few years ago.

i love how everyone hates on bfg, yet nobody offers a better alternative?

So far, I love my MTRK on highway. Still havent wheeled with them yet but Im already thinking they are better.

Ive run both. Never sliced a Bfg and we have some gnarly rocks here in AZ. But I have slashed two Kevlars, and yet I still prefer the MTR

i love how everyone hates on bfg, yet nobody offers a better alternative?
Fair enough.

For me, who likes rocks and sand and still wants a quiet highway ride, I have found my yoko geolander at+II tires are damn near perfect.

I also liked my MTR's. Have had great luck with bridgestone duelers, and didn't mind BFG muds.

My hatred of BFG comes from there famous AT tires that have had the same tread pattern for 30 years or so, which would be okay if it were a good pattern. Problem is that it is one of the worst patterns for promoting uneven wear and cupping. Noisiest AT tires i've ever owned...and lets face it, if we buy AT's it is usually because we still want some road manners. And this is not limited to the one set I owned, I see it repeatedly on every customers car that has BFG AT's.

Thanks again to everyone that posted up with a valid argument/point. I settled on a set of Procomp Extreme A/T's for now. They should work pretty good for what I need and still be able to do most everything. Only time will tell...

Later,

Coullt

Back