• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ran into some issues...

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
while getting ready to upgrade my alternator to a GC 136amp. Found all sorts of things I'm not sure about...

The braided cable, is that the 'Firewall to Block' ground?

100_1900.jpg

This red cable is attached to the positive post, and goes up and into the firewall, it's a loooong cable. What does it do?

100_1897.jpg

Next, while taking off the positive that goes from battery to starter, I found this little contraption... what does the other wire go to and what do I need to do to make this work? My new bat - starter cable has lugs on both ends, do I just put a lug on this other cable as well?

100_1896.jpg

Lastly, while following the loooong red cable to the firewall, I notice a little gem...the tube that comes from the back of the head and to the manifold... twas broken.

100_1899.jpg

What symptoms would this cause? Bad MPG? weird exhaust sounds? I'm not sure how long it's been broken... but i'm coming to find out there's a lot of oil build up and corroded stuff on my poor 93.

Also, the pos cable coming from the end of the PDC to the battery has two post holes, I'll be putting in a bigger fuse + fuse holder... do I need to worry about this? My PDC - Bat cable only has two lugs...

Pic 1. Yes, the braided cable between the firewall and the head is the firewall-to-head ground strap.

Pic 2. That's a fuse holder and wire, probably from an amplifier.

Pic 3. Looks like that used to be connected to the alternator. Probably don't need that if you're replacing all the cables.

Pic 4. Back of head? Do you mean to the rear elbow on the valve cover? That would be the crank case vent tube.

Thanks for the response. I did mean engine block... not head =/

That's what I figured for the second pic, but they zip-tied it to the bigger cable wad so I'll trace it through just to make sure.

Pic three joins up with a big wad of cables as well.

With that hose at the back being broken and not on the manifold, what is that doing to my Jeep? Oreilly's didnt have a replacement, only bulk tubing. Should I just jimmy-rig it and get some hose?

That fuse holder is the giveaway. I run all my wiring through loom, and it's all zip-tied to the stock bundles, but I don't think there's anything larger than 12AWG entering the firewall. Poke around behind trim and under the console- I'd bet you'll find the other end under or behind something.

That broken fitting would probably cause a higher idle, and might mess with the mixture, although I don't know how much. I know if I pull a line off, my idle jumps to about 1K. I've only done it while adding seafoam, so I can't say how it might affect normal operation. I'd hit the parts store and see if they sell a replacement piece; I'm fairly certain NAPA and others sell them, but it might be as an assembly, instead of just a specific hose.

I think that funky connector would be done away with when replacing the cables. I'm sure someone's covered that, might search for some of 5-90s posts on cable upgrades. He's likely done that a few times. :)

Ya, that was speaker wire... followed it back and found old cut off ground wire for an amp, cut of wires from RCAs and remote turn on...ripped em' all out.

If anyone else has info on that other cable in the third pic feel free to chime in. The end with the funky connector connects to the starter... not sure where they other part goes.

Got a couple more questions on my install

This wire... i'm not sure which post it connects to on the alt and which post I connect the Alt-PDC upgraded cable. Does it go where the boot is or on another post?

100_1909-1.jpg

And these two posts that go from the PDC to the Bat... what do I do with them?

100_1910.jpg

These are basically the last two things I gotta figure out before getting things all put back together. I've got my fuse/fuse box ready... just need to make sure I know where to connect everything.

Back