• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SoCal Desert Rendezvous

HeepSpeed

NAXJA Forum User
This is not a naxja event. I'm posting it because I know lots of people were interested in the camping aspect of Jeepin' so I thought I'd oblige by giving an opportunity to come camping with probably 50+ vehicles...from my van to tricked out expedition trucks.

ps: The "rules" were not my idea :compwork:.

SoCal Desert Rendezvous 2011

DATE: Friday and Saturday nights, March 18th and 19th 2011

1207854668_vj2hs-L.jpg

Picture courtesy of HMR

Primary Camp Coordinates-

33* 36'11.7 N
115* 31'58.5 W

Alternate Camp Coordinates-

33* 35'92.3 N
115* 32'20.4 W

Comm Plan:

Ham: 146.520 simplex calling
147.585 simplex for chit chat

Repeater on Chuckwalla Mountain;
145.380 (-) 162.2 W6DRA

CB: Ch 38 for calling

FRS for short range Ch 3 tone 8

campfire.gif

The Vision:

1. No Fees: Come as you are!
2. Laid Back: No schedule other than the date.
3. Mountain Man Rendezvous meets Overland Meet and Greet.
4. Swap Meet: Bring things to trade or sell or barter (this is NOT a commercial event!).
5. Meet People: Network, maybe teach each other a few things and check out cool rigs.
6. Real Fireside Chat: With a real fire. Share food and beverages of your choice.
7. Desert Rendezvous Cleanup : We aim to pack out more than we pack in!

The Ground Rules:

1. Common Sense.
2. Respect for Others.
3. Self Sufficiency.
4. Tread Lightly.
5. Leave it better than the way we found it!
6. Speed limit in camp is 5 mph, strictly enforced for safety (kids, dogs). Make no dust.
7. Quiet time in camp is 1100 PM: indoor voices please. Non-compliant over-consumers will be snatched up and quarantined in their sleeping bags via duct tape and nylon rope and released at 0800
wink.gif

- The intent is to be inclusive and promote max participation - this means family friendly, dog friendly (supervised/common sense), and we won't turn anyone away for AZ or NV plates so long as they bring firewood. (J/K)

- Please note well in advance that this will NOT be a commercial event, that there will NOT be fees, and that there will NOT be support facilities (toilets, water, shore power etc).

- Please note that the basic concept is an overnight meet and greet and, while all are welcome, this is NOT a toy hauler/quads/trailer queen/rock buggy/'wheeling event (See Tierra Del Sol, Glamis, Hammers etc for the "party" atmosphere) - this is family friendly camping in the desert and will be quite mellow.

- Please note that all trash collected during the Cleanup is the responsibility of the individual to remove; this is not a commercial event so dumpsters will NOT be provided. All trash collected must be packed out by the individual attendees and the area left spotless!

DISCLAIMER:
A. COME PREPARED - SELF SUFFICIENCY (VEHICLE AND SELF) AND THE CAPABILITY TO TREAD LIGHTLY WILL BE THE ONLY REQUIREMENTS TO ATTEND.
B. YOU ASSUME ALL LIABILITY FOR YOURSELF. PLAY AT YOUR OWN RISK ON PUBLIC LANDS.
C. WE REPRESENT THE PORTAL COMMUNITY AND WILL ADHERE TO OUR COMMUNITY STANDARDS OF CONDUCT.
D. ANYONE WHO CANNOT WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE.

************************************************** **************************************************

Cleanup Info; Saturday 19MAR11

**EDIT** - Prizes will be awarded by raffle, tickets will be given out saturday afternoon (show your trash for a ticket), one ticket/prize limit per person:

1st Prize donated by Trasharoo: TRASHAROO prize pack!
(Includes a 'Roo Shirt, Trasharoo Bag in any color they choose, Molle license plate holder and some 'Roo decals)

2nd Prize donated by AT Overland: AT Fuel Can Holder!

3rd Prize donated by Sierra Expeditions: ARB Snatch Strap, 24,000 lb capacity

4th Prize donated by Overland Hardware 1 Pair of prototype lockable quick release Pioneer Tool Mounts

I will have some OJ swag to give away as well
wink.gif

The entire Bradshaw Trail area needs some TLC so feel free to collect trash from wherever you find it while exploring the area!!!

************************************************** **************************************************

IMPORTANT NOTES:

Please try and use existing fire rings, there were MANY of them already in place
as of the recon on 12FEB11.

The small hill provides spectacular views and is a great vantage point for
photographers.

Alternate coordinates are posted in case the primary area is already occupied;
alternate area is right around the corner and is even larger!

**Bring extra firewood!**

IMPORTANT RUMORS:

Mario from AT will be bringing out the J8 with JK Habitat to display!

Zach from Overland Gourmet may be in attendance and that always means stellar grub!

Overland Rock Star Alert! Scott Brady and Brian McVickers of Expeditions West/Overland Journal fame may be in attendance!

Basic Gear List for Beginners:
Full fuel tank!
Basic Personal Essentials (water, food, hygeine, tent, sleeping bags)
Spare Tire, Full Size
Jack and tire iron to change your tire
Shovel
Tow strap
Basic Tool Kit
Gloves
Hat
Boots
Sunblock
Spare Key for vehicle
Maps and GPS
Trash bags
TP/Wag bags
First Aid Kit, prescription meds
Firewood

let me check the finances!! i would love to join the trip... bring the air born trailer out again lol!!!

Bump for this Friday. I've got passenger space if anyone wants to join with their own camp gear.
Word is Geode hunting in the morning, trail rides (there is nothing difficult), or lounging. A bunch of people going shooting in the afternoons. One guy even bought a clay launcher for the weekend.
Personally, I'm bringing my motorcycle, so I'll be gone pretending I have a clue as to what I'm doing on it.

Like I posted there, I'll probably do a driveby... snap some photos... taking the boy out camping... around the corner somewhere.

Curt

got the cash now tryin to convince the misses.. lol this is the harder part!!

Is this on federal land? I would hate to get arrested for having an assault weapon (my awesome spud launcher).

If you do bring firearms, it has been requested that they be fired some distance away from camp.

We are expecting about 100 people and some will be bringing children and/or dogs.

This is on BLM land.

Back