• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help - buying advice, please

TA2Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so after a very frustrating month of searching for an XJ, I’ve got 2 on deck that I’d like opinions on to make a choice between. My end goal for a rig is to be lifted 3” on 31s (Yeah, I know everyone says I’ll want to go bigger, but I am only 5’6”) with an Aussie locker up front. The rig will be used mostly to go exploring in SoCal areas, doing mines and ghost towns with some more “extreme” runs happening when I hit the trails with you guys. I’ve got about $3k - $4k to spend. The rig needs to be AC equipped and reliable as I’ll have my family bouncing around with me.

Option 1 – 1994 4 door sport stocker. AOD with 8.25 out back and factory tow package (Would the 94 have the limited slip and tranny cooler?). 180k miles, but the motor and tranny are in good shape. Coolant leak, but it appears to be just a hose issue with some rotting on the neck of the thermostat housing. AC / Heat and everything works as it should, just normal 17 years of wear and tear. Paint is faded rollover red (I am not a big fan of red) and no major dents or physical damage inside or out. Jeep is original owner by a family in West LA. Saw some 4x action in snow, going to Mammoth and such, but nothing serious. Jeep was purchased by parents and then each of the 2 boys had it while learning to drive and through high school. It’s a Jewish family in West LA so I can see the potential where it was pretty well taken care of and not abused, even though it was driven by 2 high school boys for a while. I can pick this up for about $900 (Minus smog, transfer and other DMV fees), which leaves me a good amount to get lifted and all the other equipment I need to be trail ready.

Option 2 – 1999 4 door classic stocker. AOD with 8.25 out back and factory tow package. Does have limited slip and tranny cooler. 114k miles and in good condition all around except for the fact that it’s missing the left front fender flare. Paint is the oh so gorgeous gunmetal blue and no damage in or out save for the missing fender flare. Interior is obviously in much better condition than the ’94. 3 previous owners shown on carfax (Current dealership would be #4), started life in Arizona and spent about 9 years in Washington (As far as I’m aware, they don’t use salt in the PNW); it sits on a dealerships lot in SoCal right now. Does have tow bar mounts up front, so how many of those 114k are “real” miles? Will be $5500 out the door including all smog and DMV fees and I would have to put some on credit card. With that pricepoint, I would have to wait some time before I could even get a lift and tires and the tires that are on it now are not in good shape, but I’d be pretty loathe to get new ones as I know I’d be going to 31s within a year; but I don’t know how well the current rubber will serve me on the trail.

Thanks in advance to everybody who reads through my big long story and offers their advise / feedback.

In my mind, I do like the styling of the ’99 better and I do very much love the gunmetal color. I think the interior appointments would be more comfortable for myself and the family and the ’99 has everything it needs to be the base for my “dream rig”. With the 5 year and 65k mile difference, the ’99 should be more reliable – in theory. With the ’94, I’ll be able to do just about everything I want right off the bat and with what seems to be some required minor repairs needed, I get some bonding time with her as well. With it being a faded ’94, any body damage from the trail would not be as big a deal as it would be on the pretty ’99, but again, the majority of my offroad time will be exploring on trails, not a bunch of black diamond runs. I am fully aware that both will receive custom pinstripping from the mesquite in my area. I do suffer from short / round disease, and the big tri spoke wheel that’s on the ’94, as cool as it is, is just too big and I think I would have to grab a smaller Grant or something; For the ’94, is there any other option for dealing with the steering wheel?

Thanks again for reading through my novel and I look forward to your valuable feedback and opinions.

Can’t wait to get out there and play in the dirt!

Get the 99, sounds like you're leaning towards it anyway. I love my 99 and I researched 'em all well, before I bought. Fender flares are a common JY item, or pull 'em both off and trim. I've got a set of (5) All-Terrains on Ion wheels, 31 x10.5 x15, that I might be selling if I decide to stay with my 33's. You can do lots of stuff on 31's.

Dude, being short should not limit you on lift and tire size. I'm the same height and im running 35's on my XJ with around 5" of lift. Dont be a wee nee :p

Besides, you're gonna wanna go bigger, trust me... I was in your shoes at some point.

My vote is for the 99, although I am not a fan of OBDII electronics. (Hence why I got rid of a 2001 and switched it up to a 1995).

But for reliability and less engine wear, the 99 should serve you just fine. 3.5 inches of lift and 31's are great for a variety of Southern Cali trails and terrains. I agree with Dan on the fender flare issue- just go pull another from the junkyard and be done with it.

Good luck with your decision.

Plus there aren't enough blue jeeps in the Socal harem anyhow- so go nuts!

Keep shopping around for a 97-99 private party sale. I got my 97 with 98k for $2k.

Realize that your yearly registration will be higher because of the higher out the door price.

Have cash in hand, check craigslist daily and be ready to swoop.

Id go with the 94. Personal preference mostly and the factor of a 4500 dollar difference. I picked my 88 up for around $900 with 253k, motor still runs strong at 275.

That way you can use the extra monies for lift and tires.

I agree with the waiting (patience pays off) and be ready to jump. I think XJohnny got a real good deal when he bought his 97+ a few years ago. Gas prices going up and people won't be buying too many XJ's.

Get that 99 before I do lol I was looking at the same one. I can wait and find another one. I prefer the styling/interior of the later models then the earlier. Good luck man!

LOL, I've been keeping that one in my pocket. That's why I didn't bring it up when you were talking about looking, sorry.. :eyes:

Dude, being short should not limit you on lift and tire size. I'm the same height and im running 35's on my XJ with around 5" of lift. Dont be a wee nee :p

Besides, you're gonna wanna go bigger, trust me... I was in your shoes at some point.

LOL! Me too. The bottom jam on My f250 hit me a bit above my belt line, I am (or was ) 6 foot. I climbed into it. ( used a 5 gal bucket to get GF now Wife into it) The XJ started with a saggy 4.5" lift, now it's 7" over stock. Makes for lots of Fun off road. Don't let a little dis comfort getting in, limit Your plans. If that's all the lift You want then go for it.
I like the 99 also.:wave1:

99' all the way...

Go for A 99 but not that one. $5,500 is too much. Edmunds.com puts it's value between 3,000-$4,200 for that specific 99. Paying $1,300 over value in this economy is crazy. Be patient. The right one will come along.

Go for A 99 but not that one. $5,500 is too much. Edmunds.com puts it's value between 3,000-$4,200 for that specific 99. Paying $1,300 over value in this economy is crazy. Be patient. The right one will come along.

The $5500 is all inclusive - tax, title, registration and smog. In CA all of that is usually about 13-17% of the purchase price.

Edmunds shows $3600 - $4600

http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/cherokee/1999/tmv-appraise-results.html

KBB shows $3400 - $4700

http://beta.kbb.com/jeep/cherokee/1999-jeep-cherokee/classic-sport-utility-4d?intent=trade-in-sell&vehicleid=5683&options=217823|true|217749|true|217756|true|217774|true|217765|true|217802|true|217795|false|217866|true|217904|true&mileage=114244

For $5500 to include everything and save me a trip to the DMV - I don't think that's completely out of line..

To top it off, when it's fairly low mileage @ 114k, my favorite color for Jeep and includes the 8.25 with limited slip and tranny cooler - when you find one with all the things that you're looking for, it's hard not to jump on it..

I'm not trying to blow off what you're saying as I am the one who came to the board to ask for advice and I do understand completely where you're coming from, the above is just my take on it..

Thank you for your feedback and if there's more to add, I am all ears. I'm trying to do what's best for the reliability and comfort for my family and the wallet as well.

Last edited:
I got My 96 for 4200.00 The list of parts that was on it then was impressive, I felt with everything it had on it, I paid for the parts and got the Jeep for free. I found it here in the for sale section. A Kid that was starting school and needed a gas mileage car. Times are hard and (Bummer) People are having to sell their toys. Maybe slow down just a taste and see what shows up. Just a thought. :)

Based on what you said about the 99 in your previous post (liking the color, mileage, 8.25 ect) you should buy it. Someone told me along time ago "I have a value I am willing to pay for something and I don't care if I could get a better deal or what people think, its worth it to me". That seems to fit and if YOU are cool with paying $5500 for the 99 then buy it. We are just tight on here and looking for best price (even for you, haha).

Well, it was taken out of my hands - was on the way down to look at it and it sold Thursday (WheelinXJ I'm looking at you.. LOL).

Back