• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Handling/suspension Issue, PLEASE HELP!!

XJOwner95

NAXJA Forum User
alright, im 16 and im very mechanical inclined:repair: and all, but i cant seem to find out whats wrong with my 88 jeep cherokee.:gonnablow its a very bad wobble on the right front...i have a 4.5" rough country lift with the new springs and lower arms with M/T rims with 31' x 10.5 tires. and ive heard my front driveshaft could be the cause but my front driveshaft isnt in. i have replaced any bushings or anything cus i put the lift in like 2 months ago but it could be the bushings in the stock upper arms
SOMEONE PLEASE JUST HELP, its very bad and sometimes happens at speeds as slow as 35mph

all inputs are welcome and much appreciated

most likely, yes. but not always the case. you are describing death wobble perfectly as stated above. usually caused by one of 4 things:

1.) control arm bushings badly worn out
2.) track bar bushing worn out on the axle side
3.) track bar bolt loose on the axle side (this is bad because it can wallow out the hole in the axle so it will never stay where it's supposed to again.
4.) Tie rod end on the frame bracket side of the trackbar worn out.

There are many other things that could cause it but those are the main ones I would check out first. you can check the hub bearings out by lifting the axle with a jack and grabbing the tire at 12 and 6 o'clock, and push and pull the tire. if it wobbles any more than an 1/8th inch or so you probably need a new hub. while you have it up give the tire a spin by hand, if you feel or hear any kind of grinding you definitely need a new hub.

Most likely but it could be a thousand other things. Tires balanced? Have you checked for a bent wheel? I've even seen seized axle u-joints cause this.

Start with the simple stuff.

@grimmJeeper thats what it feels like its doing...but i dont think that bad and i know its not the track bar bolt on the axle side because i had to drill a hole in the bracket and relocate it more to the driver side but the hole is of perfect size i assured of it...
@DrMoab its not the axle u joints...dont have a front drive shaft in..

Did you go you go under neath and look while someone moves the steering wheel back and forth rapidly, this method usually works for me. Did you have wobble before the lift and tires or did it start after the lift and tires?

@grimmJeeper thats what it feels like its doing...but i dont think that bad and i know its not the track bar bolt on the axle side because i had to drill a hole in the bracket and relocate it more to the driver side but the hole is of perfect size i assured of it...
@DrMoab its not the axle u joints...dont have a front drive shaft in..

can you post a pic of your steering angles from the front, so the center of the drag link is about eye level? if you moved the hole chances are your angles are out of whack, which will do all kinds of annoying things to the steering.

Also in response to your reply directed at DrMoab, if the ujoints are binding up it could still cause problems without the front driveshaft in, especially when turning left or right.

Back