• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle guys need you to take a look...

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this is a Chrysler 8.25 with the trac-loc and factory 3.55 gears. It is in a 97 XJ 4.0L auto 4x4 on 33x12.50r15 tires and the Jeep just hit 200,000 miles the other day. I have heard a very very mild grinding noise from the rear end for about 2 months and finally got around to changing the fluid and checking it out and here is what I found.

IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

This is a chunk of metal I found at the bottom of the diff.

IMG_0740.jpg

Clearly this is not good and something will need to be done. Some of the teeth on the spider gears are chipped. The ring and pinion however appear to be in good shape still. The chunk of metal I really have no idea what it goes to. I made a 600 mile round trip just a few days ago over the weekend and she cruised just fine down the highway at 75-80 mph some points even got her up to 95 downhill when trying to pass someone.

So here is my question, docs how much longer do I have until it completely blows up? I have a Dana 44 that needs brakes and has the same gear ratio that I could put in but it is back home at my parents house and I am away at school so I have to wait until I go home again.

Agreed with MAY POP. When you pull the spiders check the machined surfaces on the carrier where they ride, if those areas are badly worn / melted / spalled you will need a new carrier too. When you put the spiders and side gears in, if they feel too loose you need to buy the adjustment shim / preload washer set that goes between them and the carrier, it comes with a few thicknesses and you use the ones that fit right.

I would think it will limp around for a good long while if you keep your foot out of the throttle to avoid stressing those gears too much. If the ring and pinion look fine and don't have any nicks, chips, bad wear patterns, etc you'll be fine with just new spiders/sides and maybe a new carrier depending on wear.

You could probably pick one up from the JY for cheap.

I have a Dana 44 out of an 87 XJ waiting to go in it just needs new wheel bearing and entire brake assemblies on both sides and I can probably run it. I was just wondering if I can get by on this for a few more weeks until I can get back to my parents house to work on that axle. I really don't want to put any money into this axle if I don't have to.

Thanks for all the advice!

Back