• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Napa steering box part number?

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I was just at my local napa and ordered a reman box and got home and am now wondering about the part number. I looked it up online and got 88278133, they however looked it up and ordered 277582. When I google the 277582, I see a lot of info about it being for a TJ with snow plow... I look up the 277582 on napa's site and it shows nothing at all.

Is that a correct replacement box? This napa has always been spot on for me in the past. Also I had them order a tie rod end today and that part number matches right up.

I wasn't sure where to put this as I want the stock replacement not a modified version.

97 4.0 with power steering

My 89 and 92's have 277525 on em. Gotta love the napa lifetime warranty :guitar:

Yea that's why I want to stick with napa. After more googling it shows that part number as a cardone part. Maybe the napa I go to has that as a substitute part number but really the same napa gear box...

Well hopefully it isn't a cardone. And if it is, Be sure it has the same lifetime warranty. That's if their steering box rebuilds have the same reputation as their racks and calipers

I guess I'll take the napa part number I got and take it with me when I pick it up. If it is a cardone I will ask them to re-order the napa brand.

I don't have all the numbers written down, but from what I could find last year when I swapped mine, 96-98 Jeeps have a specific-to-Jeep steering gear (at least as far as the part numbers go). They are $400 including the core charge. -95, and 99+, have a part number common to other brands/platforms, which is half as much. The one I got (for an 00 XJ/95 ZJ) was physically identical, and if it functions any differently, I can't tell.

According to the parts guy I dealt with, they're all Cardone remans. Check the numbers on RockAuto; they normally list all the vehicles a part is used on, where as NAPA just lists that it works for whatever specific year/make/model you punched in.

edit: A quick check says the gear you got is a Cardone reman for 96-98 Jeeps. The number on the box is not always going to match their computers, just like QT uses their own part numbers for other manufacturers parts.

Last edited:
I checked rockauto and they have the cardone brand(277582) for about 40 bucks less than I paid. I really wonder if they are all the same part and just reboxed or if I should push to get the napa brand ordered.

cardione is only 1 yr warranty up here where napa is lifetime, I'd look into that as well

Ask your counter guy at NAPA; that's what I did. I hate their prices, and that they rarely have what I want in stock, but they've been really good about breaking out the books when I ask for specifics, or finding out who makes a part for them if it's not listed.

I'm going to ask about ordering a 99 napa brand box tomorrow and see the price difference. When I go there they hook me up with a discount under a local auto shop account so they are really cool.

Don't get hung up on the brands. The number bcmaxx lists, 277525, is a Cardone number. If you want the lifetime warranty, buy it from NAPA, but you're buying the same Cardone box you'd get someplace else, at least according to NAPA.

If you can, check out both boxes on the counter, and see if they have accurate info for TTL, ratio, etc.

NAPA renumbers everything in our inventory, it is a cardone gear box since ARI went out of business, but we still offer the lifetime warranty on them. They've renumbered the steering boxes twice in the last 2 years, and both of the old numbers are still in the system but superceded with the new number.

I manage a NAPA store in socal ;)

Ok, thanks for all the info guys. I am just going to stick with what I have ordered and call it good. I wanted the life time warranty and from a local shop so I'm happy. This local napa has always treated me great so I'll continue to trust in them ; ) .

Back