• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What all do I need for a lift? Am I on the right track?

shhuskins

NAXJA Forum User
OK from research, thread searching here and CherokeeForum I think this is all I've gathered. I have a 96 Cherokee bought on CL for $350 with a bad motor (broken piston). I just want a fun trail truck it willnot be my daily driver at all. I had in mind a 4-4.5" lift w/ 33's but now the more I look at pictures I'm wondering if i should go 31's? So I have more room to flex, plus then I can run TreadWrights. So if a somehow (hopefully I can do it cheap) I piece together a lift with coils, spacers, shackles, and AAL's. I want to make my shock setup as easy as I can so I'll run BPE's front and back and get some stem eliminators. With the combo it should shorten my shock need roughly 2" so I could run Stock-2" shocks. I'll need a T-Case drop at the very least and most likely a SYE. If I go 31's gear it to 4.56 and for the 8.25 I can use same carrier but I'll need a new one for the D30. If I go 33's gear to 4.88. Will I need a steering column extension or something of the sort?? I'll need a drop pittman arm and an adjustable track bar I think?? Will I need different Control Arms? Unfortunately I can't afford Long Arms lol. And I plan on 31's or 33's on Cragar Soft 8's with 3.75 Back Spacing because that pushes the wheel out farthe than 4" right? Sorry for the Book like thread just trying to make sure I have everything covered. Also this is all a big question if I said something totally ridiculous please let me know.

4.5" lift with 33's, cut the fenders and bumpstop.

Go with 4.5" coils, adjustable control arms, drop brackets or long arms, 3" leafs and 1.5" boomerang shackle. Flex the Jeep out after the lift to figure out exactly what size shocks you need.

Go with 4.88's (but be aware that people have broken more ring&pinions on 4.88 then 4.56) for 33's on a trail rig. Yes you will need a new carrier for the 30. Check to see if you have a 29 spline 8.25 or the 27 spline. If it is the 27 spline make a 29 spline, get an ford 8.8 or a D44 before you regear.

No you don't need a steering column extension or drop pitman arm, but you should consider upgrading your steering. Get a good double sheer trackbar.

Back