• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alloy USA X joints(?)

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, haven't been on here for a while......really been into my early Bronco lately (after being in moth balls for over ten years!). Any way, took it out a few weeks ago and broke a front axle joint. Early Broncos only came with the smaller 260X joints in the front axles (both D30s and 44s) and I had some Chevy shafts cut down, about 18 years ago, to accept the "big" (at the time) 297X joints. Well, after 18 years of hard wheeling (hmm, more like 8, I guess.....it did sit for 10 years) and towing a trailer over the Con (and the Little Sluice) and other rocky trails, one finally let go. I was going to replace them with the superceded 760X Spicers but, got a smoking deal on some Alloy USA X joints well, they arrived in the mail today and.......they're made in China! Shouldn't they be called Alloy China, then? I don't really have a problem with it but, does anyone have any experience with these joints, are they indeed stronger than the Spicers? I like the fact that they ARE greaseable (through the caps) but, not hollow Any input is welcome. Don't chastise me for spending time with my Bronco.....it's still my favorite 4X4, having owned it for going on 25 years now!----------Hans

I went and read some articles and write up's on these. I just bought Gold Seals from TW, wish I had seen these. It must have a zerk on every cap, the caps have bushngs not needle bearings. So the main body of the Joint can be solid. Must be stronger. The Joint can also be serviced (new bushings). Anyone that services their DS, including cleaning and re-greasing the Joints, has seen the wear that happens on a needle bearing Joint. The bushing is a softer metal, so as long as You keep an eye on them, and not let the bushing wear through, the main body should last a long long time. IMHO

If it was me I would send them back to Alloy USA and tell them where they can shove their made in China Crap and suggest if they are gonna do that sh!t they should change their damn name and quit defrauding their customers :soapbox:

If it was me I would send them back to Alloy USA and tell them where they can shove their made in China Crap and suggest if they are gonna do that sh!t they should change their damn name and quit defrauding their customers :soapbox:

X2.....

I went and read some articles and write up's on these. I just bought Gold Seals from TW, wish I had seen these. It must have a zerk on every cap, the caps have bushngs not needle bearings. So the main body of the Joint can be solid. Must be stronger. The Joint can also be serviced (new bushings). Anyone that services their DS, including cleaning and re-greasing the Joints, has seen the wear that happens on a needle bearing Joint. The bushing is a softer metal, so as long as You keep an eye on them, and not let the bushing wear through, the main body should last a long long time. IMHO
These actually have needle bearings in the caps. I don't care that they're made in China (I prefer that they weren't!) I just wanted a stronger joint. I got such a great deal on them that I couldn't pass them up! However, I might just sell them for what I paid and just buy some Spicers if they aren't any stronger---------Hans

Tom Woods has the Gold Seals , only thing He puts in His shafts now. Since I have His shafts and joints, if something should happen as a result of a failure of the joint or shaft, it fixed for Free. It's a nice joint, but it is not solid and the zerk is in the cap, nice for the Cardan Joints.

is your bronco the green one on arrow hwy.
Dude! That thing's a Scout 800.....it is pretty cool though, D60s front and rear. Mine is the toplesss green one cruising around Glendora/Covina---------Hans
EDIT: Didn't mean to come off as an ass.......us Bronco guys are sensitive about our rigs. Several years back, I was wheeling with some buddies, a Cruiser and Jeep guy (RIP Jim) and I was climbing this nasty rock face, when I got to the top they made the comment "man, you were really working that Scout".....just to get a rise out of me. We all got a good laugh out of it :D-----------Hans

Alloy USA stuff has been coming from China for years as has many other companies shafts. Many NAXJA folks have been running Alloy USA 'chinese made' parts for years with little to no issue and it was even before the ownership of Alloy USA changed. They have sponsored tons of local events for the SoCal chapter and even have looked the opposite way on occasion when warranties come up.

Do your research before spouting off crap like this.

Hey guys, haven't been on here for a while......really been into my early Bronco lately (after being in moth balls for over ten years!). Any way, took it out a few weeks ago and broke a front axle joint. Early Broncos only came with the smaller 260X joints in the front axles (both D30s and 44s) and I had some Chevy shafts cut down, about 18 years ago, to accept the "big" (at the time) 297X joints. Well, after 18 years of hard wheeling (hmm, more like 8, I guess.....it did sit for 10 years) and towing a trailer over the Con (and the Little Sluice) and other rocky trails, one finally let go. I was going to replace them with the superceded 760X Spicers but, got a smoking deal on some Alloy USA X joints well, they arrived in the mail today and.......they're made in China! Shouldn't they be called Alloy China, then? I don't really have a problem with it but, does anyone have any experience with these joints, are they indeed stronger than the Spicers? I like the fact that they ARE greaseable (through the caps) but, not hollow Any input is welcome. Don't chastise me for spending time with my Bronco.....it's still my favorite 4X4, having owned it for going on 25 years now!----------Hans

There is a reason you got a smoking deal, they ARE made in China along with many of their other parts.

You want made in the USA plan to pay the price. You want to support local too? Go to www.ctmracing.com and support a great guy with amazing product just don't squack when you get the bill.

Those joints should be A-OK for what you need. Use them and don't look back.

BTW, my wife is made in China and all her parts work well .!. :D .!.

Alloy USA stuff has been coming from China for years as has many other companies shafts. Many NAXJA folks have been running Alloy USA 'chinese made' parts for years with little to no issue and it was even before the ownership of Alloy USA changed. They have sponsored tons of local events for the SoCal chapter and even have looked the opposite way on occasion when warranties come up.

Do your research before spouting off crap like this.
Having the name Alloy USA implies American made products. If they want to sell stuff that is made in China then they should change the name. They are (perhaps not intentionally) defrauding their customers.

Having the name Alloy USA implies American made products. If they want to sell stuff that is made in China then they should change the name. They are (perhaps not intentionally) defrauding their customers.

They are not defrauding anyone. If you do your research before buying from them they have no qualms about sharing where the product is produced.

There is a reason you got a smoking deal, they ARE made in China along with many of their other parts.

You want made in the USA plan to pay the price. You want to support local too? Go to www.ctmracing.com and support a great guy with amazing product just don't squack when you get the bill.

Those joints should be A-OK for what you need. Use them and don't look back.

BTW, my wife is made in China and all her parts work well .!. :D .!.
Like I said I don't have a problem with them coming from China......Chinese manufacturing quality is light years from where it used to be! And I really did get an exceptional deal. Everywhere I called, they were going for $45-50 each, found them on Amazon.com (of all places) and got them for a little more than the price of a Spicer 760X so, I couldn't pass them up. I wish I could afford some CTMs (and the obligatory alloy shafts to go with them) or some RCVs but........these will suffice. I wheel with my head and not the skinny pedal. Hey Avery, when are you guys gonna do another M&G at that sushi restaurant?---------Hans

Hey Avery, when are you guys gonna do another M&G at that sushi restaurant?---------Hans

ha

when I get back from my world tour ;)

They are not defrauding anyone. If you do your research before buying from them they have no qualms about sharing where the product is produced.
OK perhaps it doesn't meet the definition of actual fraud but if a company is gonna capitalize on the USA in their company name, especially when the company by the same name used to have the highest quality american made products, then they are unfairly capitalizing on their name.

OK perhaps it doesn't meet the definition of actual fraud but if a company is gonna capitalize on the USA in their company name, especially when the company by the same name used to have the highest quality american made products, then they are unfairly capitalizing on their name.

Anyone who works so hard to get USA in the name is almost never made domestically ;)

Back