• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swap an auto to a manual transmission?

biztyke

NAXJA Forum User
right now i have a 1990 XJ with a manual transmission. the thing is a beast and keeps on running great, but the body and interior have a lot of issues so i am looking to upgrade to a newer gen(97-01) in good shape. trouble is, i want a manual and no matter what that is what i will get in the end. most XJs on the market are autos and i just want to find out what my options are for a transmission swap.

i would think swapping in a same gen ax-15 or nv3550 should work out ok, but what about an older model? specifically, would i be able to take the ax-15 out of my 90 and put it in a 97-01 and vise versa? any kind of serious issues i would encounter, and are they worth overcoming?

buying a used transmission around here would be fairly difficult and expensive, so i am hoping for an easier method. if not, i guess i will just wait it out for a manual to pop up.

thanks.

on an auto to manual swap you'll need:
pilot bearing and a pilot bearing spacer (or whatever it's called)
you'll need an ECU that is for a manual transmission
you'll need to ground out the NSS wire and you wont have to worry about pushing the cluch in to start
you'll need a new set of pedals (it's not just an add - on it's a complete replacement
you'll need all of the manual transmissino stuff: clutch, transmission etc...

oh yeah.. your 90 is internal slave so you might want to consider upgrading to something with an external slave

Search is your friend. This has been covered numerous times.

thank you, i did search. i found nothing conclusive regarding my specific question(putting a 90 ax-15 into a 97-01 auto xj).

on an auto to manual swap you'll need:
pilot bearing and a pilot bearing spacer (or whatever it's called)
you'll need an ECU that is for a manual transmission
you'll need to ground out the NSS wire and you wont have to worry about pushing the cluch in to start
you'll need a new set of pedals (it's not just an add - on it's a complete replacement
you'll need all of the manual transmissino stuff: clutch, transmission etc...

oh yeah.. your 90 is internal slave so you might want to consider upgrading to something with an external slave

so, i take it that i can do this swap. are there any other compatibility issues i should be aware of? i know i have an internal slave and i am fine with that, as far as i know it works just as well.....just that much more of a PIA to change if i need to. like i said, i hope to find a 97-01 with a manual, but if it looks like it aint gonna happen i want to know my options.

Back