• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it possible to make the JCR steering into inverted Y setup?

twodoorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
We all know that the JCR steering system is an inverted T setup, and is susceptible to "tie rod roll" and the result of tie rod roll is a dead spot in the steering. Now JCR includes a spacer to put between the knuckle and the tie rod. This is some sort of band aid fix.

Now here is my question, if you had the JCR steering, could you potentially make it into an inverted Y setup.

Could you take this TRE: http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ES2233L&Category_Code=S6

And attach it to the rod that goes to the pitman arm, and then connect this TRE: http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ES2027L&Category_Code=S6

I assume the length of the rods would have to be modified, but could it work/ would it be worth it?

Hopefully someone understands what im talking about here.

i get what your saying, but the es2233l would start out maxed in its missallignment, once you got to full droop, it would be beyond maxed.

the tie rod connects the two wheels, the DRAGLINK connects the pitman arm to the wheels.

i get what your saying, but the es2233l would start out maxed in its missallignment, once you got to full droop, it would be beyond maxed.

the tie rod connects the two wheels, the DRAGLINK connects the pitman arm to the wheels.

So basically it wont work, unless you put a bend in the draglink, so the TRE wouldnt be maxed out.

Would it be worth it?

i run the jcr utk steering on a RE 3.5" on 33 mt's. i feel the rod roll is over stressed. i have a little bumpsteer, but definately not a dead spot (and i know what a dead spot, a commanche in our group with worn stock steering had a definate dead spot). my jeep see's regular dd duty, 90mph on socal freeways with no sway bars. it keeps you awake, its not a sports car, its a lifted jeep. feels fine once you get shock valving where it needs to be, nice and stiff.

i run the jcr utk steering on a RE 3.5" on 33 mt's. i feel the rod roll is over stressed. i have a little bumpsteer, but definately not a dead spot (and i know what a dead spot, a commanche in our group with worn stock steering had a definate dead spot). my jeep see's regular dd duty, 90mph on socal freeways with no sway bars. it keeps you awake, its not a sports car, its a lifted jeep. feels fine once you get shock valving where it needs to be, nice and stiff.

I actually have the steering myself, and i like it, im around 5 inches of lift, the poly spacer is shot after only 2 months, im going to cut one out of a cutting board. My steering is loose, but i blame the steering box, on account of i have a brand new RK bomb proof trackbar, and newer steering.

ive gone thru 2, in about 2 years. i buy em 4 at a time, as multiple jeeps in the family run em. including 2 desert jeeps at 5.5. ive found that its important to hold onto the rods with a pipe wrench while turning them for an alignment, you can smush em pretty bad just tightening the jam nuts. ive heard the kit was originally designed for metal spacers found on j10 pickups.... the metal spacers are apparently not available anymore. maybe jcr needs to mfg them, or at least a better solution?

Run a spacer on the TREs and you can kill the dead spot.

Why not its worth the upgrade. Pretty much bolt in.
Pretty much bolt in...except changing out your knuckles, welding on the JKS spacer, buying new hubs (for most of us), new rotors, having the new rotors redrilled to fit our bolt pattern or changing your bolt pattern...but otherwise bolt in. ;) Still worth it though.

ive heard the kit was originally designed for metal spacers found on j10 pickups.... the metal spacers are apparently not available anymore. maybe jcr needs to mfg them, or at least a better solution?

Just to clarify, it's not a metal bushing. It was a rubber bushing uncased in two metal sleeve halves.

The J10 spacers were never available when we started making this kit back in 2003 and are not available today. Since that time, we have only came across 2 of them and both were in very crappy condition. The TRE's need to be able to have some movement, so that's why we don't offer a harder spacer.

We do recommend that anyone with more than 4.5" of lift, install the OTK kit. This lessens the angles of the draglink and in return cuts back on the tie rod roll. The higher the lift on an UTK kit will give the draglink more leverage to roll the tie rod and wear out the spacers.

i run no spacers with about 4.5" of lift and otk.

there is absolutely no tie rod roll with my setup

(its not jcr, but essentially a copy of it, uses all same tie rod ends and its an inverted t)

Back