• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I want your opinion on this comanche

cheapcherokee93

<----boat-manche
http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/2243782696.html

i'll give you the full details that i got when i called him:

good stuff: basically its a 1988 MJ with 125,000 miles, 4x4, 2.5, manual trans (so what, ax5?), short bed. sat for 6 years before he got it, so he replaced a lot of stuff. color is olive drab green, body is straight and rust free except for a "really bad" scratch on the passenger side door. and he only wants 400 for it. i already asked him about the extra trans he has and its just another manual from an early 4 banger cherokee.

now for the bad stuff. its got about $300 in backfees. he bought it and couldnt afford to register it so he just drove it around his property. he still doesnt have the pink, says he's been waiting for it for about 2 weeks. im guessing he's not gonna get it until he pays the back fees.
the big thing is it has a blown headgasket, says the waterpump died and he didnt know it, which caused the headgasket to go. he replaced the waterpump and radiator among the list of things he already replaced. he tried fixing the headgasket but says it wont go on right or he's doing something wrong (basically he cant fix it). i thought maybe the head or block is warped or something, but he claims he had it checked out and that its fine. to add to all of this he's in fresno, which is more than 250 miles away. my dad and i are willing to drive that far, but only if everything checks out and its legit. only problem is the cost of diesel and renting a trailer to haul it back adds to the cost of it considerably. flat towing would be an option if the registration was current.

so, considering the backfees and condition its in, would it be worth it at all? if it had current registration and i knew for sure the engine was fixable i'd probably go get it. i dont mind driving a 4 banger, as this would be used around town and some light wheeling (i'd keep it mostly stock). and i can always swap in a 4.0 down the road. so basically, what other things should i ask about and what kind of offer should i be making? or is this thing just not worth it at all? :dunno:

rear end
gears
tires
transfer
unibody??
i mean most of this ur not gunna know till u get out there like what the gearing is and if there is any cracks in the body or the seam sealer
but thats a long drive for a rig
but its all up to you

Well if the engine needs to be pulled apart anyways, I would do a 4.0L swap NOW.
Will be 4.10 gears.
Craigslist page won't come up for me.. so dunno how much, if the price reflects the fees then sounds like a decent deal, talk them down if you can.
As far as towing, cheapest way.. drive there with tow vehicle and rent a trailer from Bako and one-way it back.

Well if the engine needs to be pulled apart anyways, I would do a 4.0L swap NOW.
Will be 4.10 gears.
Craigslist page won't come up for me.. so dunno how much, if the price reflects the fees then sounds like a decent deal, talk them down if you can.
As far as towing, cheapest way.. drive there with tow vehicle and rent a trailer from Bako and one-way it back.

whats required on the 4.0 swap? ive actually got a low mileage renix long block and pacesetter header just laying around....but thats it.

he's asking $400 so i think that reflects the fees and what not. maybe if he gets desperate i can offer him lower. i still worry about him not having the pink in hand. maybe i'll say i'll pay X amount after he pays the reg. and gets the pink.

good idea on the towing, that should save some money should i decide to get it.

Well, should be able to use a bill of sale to transfer. If anything ask if he is willing to sign a contract or something, until you are able to transfer title.
ECM, wiring harness, exhaust modification.. should be able to find a writeup on one of the forums or google.

Or, sadly may be too good to be true.

Last edited:
Sounds like a big hassle. Too much commitment on your end before you can even check it out, I'd be weary! Def want the pink in hand too. I just went threw the "late fees" bullshit with my jeep. Got an '87 for $600, tried to transfer title, guy had paperwork it only needed another $340 to come current. I dropped $180 on my first visit to AAA & still owed $317... FFW 6 months & I had another $381 to pay to get it current, then it has to pass smog, then i get new reg & tags... Right now I get those 1-day passes to drive it to the smog shop... I picked last & this Saturday's... Hopefully it'll pass! Just something else to take into consideration! Oh btw - AAA told me that even if I wanted to go non-op to stop inquiring more fees, I had to pay the all current late fees!

Back