• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gearing ?

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
What gears would you recommend? I have 31’s on a 3 inch but I might go up to 33’s and a 4 ½ inch lift next year. I want better gas mileage and still to be able to wheel it.

I'm not even a veteran here, but I, too, am getting pretty sick of these gearing threads... The 31" to 33" territory has been covered to the point of absurdity, so here it goes:

In the DD and weekend-warrior realm, go with 4.10's if you're never going to go bigger than 31" tires. If you really think 33" tires are a possibility in the future, go with 4.56's.

P.S. - I really hope this doesn't come off as patronization or make it sound as though I'm a condescending ass, but if you look through the last 2 pages of recent threads you'll find several discussions on the matter (both new and old). The search tool is your friend, as is the "site:naxja.org" term on Google.

I would go with 4.56, that way if & when you do go to 33's you will still be good. 4.56's will still be ok if you even go to 35's. It will be a bit of a slug on 35's with 4.56's, but it will still work.

What gears would you recommend? I have 31’s on a 3 inch but I might go up to 33’s and a 4 ½ inch lift next year. I want better gas mileage and still to be able to wheel it.

As stated above this has been covered sooo many times. Both your questions have.

BUT.... I run 4.56 with 33's and have decent mileage for MY rig. Every rig is different. How you drive, how much extra weight you are carrying all the time compared to someone else, do you drive highway all the time or stop and go..blah blah blah the endless variables are mind numbing.

I you you know you are sticking with 31's I personally would go either 3.73's or 4.10's but if you KNOW you are going to go bigger just jump to the 4.56's or steeping and be done with it.

But keep this in mind for mileage, we drive a vehicle that has the aerodynamics equal to that of a brick, so with that in mind your best advice from me to better gas mileage is staying on top of your tune-ups, lighten up on the gas pedal, steady take take offs are better then slam the foot to the floor take offs, if your tire is on the roof remove it....

Back