• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats the best way to fit a tire that came off the rim?

Trail Ready

NAXJA Forum User
Last weekend we went to cleghorn and my bro in law had two tires that the rims came off the bead.My bro in law heard of a guy swpaying wd 40 and then lighting it and it popped back on.:have you ever heard of this if not what's a better way of doin it?

theres two trail side methods

1: Spraying ether in the tire with the valve stem core pulled.. and lighting it..
I've done this a couple times.. works.. but you gotta be conservative with how much you spray in..

2: ratchet strap with OBA.. I've used this method 3 times now.. much less stressful then the first option..

seen it done with success, and seen bad things happen aswell. not something i would do if there was ANY other safer way. that is normally done when in the boonies and no air source is available. if you have an air source (compressed air) then strapping a ratcheting tie down or something similar around the center of the tire tread and tightening will normally put enough force on the tire to push out the side beads to seat against the rim. this will allow you to air it up and seat the bead. just make sure to release the ratchet strap as soon as you feel the tire bead will hold air. dont try and seat the beads with the strap still in place.

either way, please be sure all debris is free and clear of the bead. it can get ugly quickly

Find a harbor freight 20% off coupon and buy their tire changer.. Will need to have tires balanced after tho, either way.

We did the starter fluid trick on Metal Masher in Moab. Worked great. We just made sure we had two people with fire extinguishers standing by.

On the Rubicon in 2005, a local chapter member set one of my tires on fire trying this method. ;)

Another of our chapter members did it while recording a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7qPxjLk9cU

Its almost impossible to use too little starting fluid, while easy to use too much. This should be a technique of absolute last resort.

-C

I used to do this with my 46 inch tires when they popped off the bead after I ran over a car in Fullerton that cut me off and slammed on their brakes. Do the air soft pellets really work.

Back