• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some remaining questions regarding 2" OME on 2001 XJ

OneOverZero

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ, 231/8.25, a little under 100k on it. Currently has 30x9.5R15 BFG AT KOs on 15x8” TJ Canyons. I’ve taken one of my XJs to Moab for two weeks almost every year since 1998, and there’s obviously not enough clearance for anything above a 235/75 at stock height, so I’ll be doing a mild OME-sourced lift on the '01 in the next few weeks. My only consideration is that there be no driveline issues as this is my DD, so I’ll be do an SYE kit immediately rather than wait or do a TC drop. I'm assuming that the LP D30 isn't going to be a concern at this height.

Though I’ve found answers to most of my questions via much searchin’, could I get a once-over of my plans to see if there’s anything I should ideally do at the same time? I’ll be going with DPG’s OME Ultimate Hybrid 2” setup with a JB Conversions SYE. I’m undecided regarding the “stock/light” vs. “medium” load springs, particularly since I have Class III hitches front & rear and tow a ~2000lb camper occasionally. All this rambling leads to my questions:

1. With the standard JB SYE (assuming that this is sufficient over the Super Shorty), am I correct in understanding that I can run a front driveshaft in the rear without any issues?
  2. Can JKS discos be installed on the rear swaybar? I’m aware that the factory UpCountry went without from the factory (have a ’96 UC), but high crosswinds at I-40 speeds leave me inclined to leave it in place since I’ll continue towing from NC to Moab yearly.
  3. Is there a comprehensive list of the mounting hardware I’ll be yanking in the process? I’d like to get suitable-grade replacements beforehand.
Thanks! Here's a cross-generational photo as compensation. (Learned how to rig a Renix/AX15 TPS through a patch harness right quick with my buddy's 1990 XJ).

Bob

x3Tsh.jpg

There is a very good chance that you wont get any vibes with a 2inch lift. Why not just wait and see before going through the whole SYE / Driveshaft process?

I ran a 2 inch OME lift initially on my 99. I had no issues with drive line vibrations.
At 3.5 inches (via longer shackle and ACOS spacer) I needed to do the SYE and
degree shims. I'd say if you can swing it, go 3.5 inch lift and 31" tires.
I've been happy with this setup for 4 years :cheers:

Definitely go for MD leafs since you do tow a camper.

Tell Dirk at DPG what you use it for and what you tow. He will answer all your questions in one phone call. Write down all your questions and have the confidence in Dirk to understand and recommend exactly what you need. I did and I have no regrets!!

1. Depends on your drive-train. Also, depends on the drive-train of the donor vehicle.
Start reading: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/official-sye-slip-yoke-eliminator-thread-all-read-426483/

For what it's worth, I got terrible vibes at just 2" of lift, so good call on going with the SYE right away.

2. I haven't ran, or looked at a rear swaybar in a few years now, but IIRC discos made to fit the XJ will not work in the rear. Look at the length of the rear sway bar links compared the the fronts. I don't see it working out, but I could be wrong. You might be better off DIYing a set.

3. I don't know of a list, but some of the hardware can be tricky to track down. A lot of it is metric, and some cannot be exchanged with SAE because they go into weld nuts in the "frame" rails. (Front leaf spring and upper shackle bolts come to mind) I had to source those from the dealer.

Here's another vote to call Dirk at DPG, he really knows his stuff. I was just talking to him the other day about the new "sport" shocks that OME came out with. (They're on back order, by the way) If you tell him exactly what you intend to do with your Jeep, he will get you the right OME kit.

Back