• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pitman arm?

rehberg79

NAXJA Forum User
Im having a hard time finding a new pitman arm for my jeep. I cant get one from any of my local part stores. Where would be a good place to locate one? :dunno:

1999 4.0, 4x4......

Mat

I guess I could try a pick and pull. I'm having one he'll of a time pulling mine off with heat and a big impact. I'm not sure how easy one would come off in the yard with no heat and hand tools....

Zj pitman arm will give you 1" drop..

Yes, a proper pitman arm puller, hammer, and ratchet wrench is all you need.

Get the pitman puller on tight, then smack the pitman arm with the hammer a few times to loosen things up. Then tighten some more. Then smack some more. Repeat until it comes off.

People make the mistake of cranking on the puller until it breaks.

I've pulled off many with a $10 TRE/Pitman arm puller and a really long extension(s) from the top

Sorry, I'm having trouble visualizing this.

Last one I tried to take off ended up getting cut. I heated it..beat it with a standard issue BFH with torque on it and everything. No dice.

Should be putting my hydro assist on and new box in the next few weeks...so I was trying to find one at an auto parts store as well and found out they are unavailable. I started soaking mine last week in wd-40 and enforce.

Hope to god my heep isn't as bad as the last one i had to take off.

Sorry, I'm having trouble visualizing this.

I usually can't get the ratchet down in the area that is right above the pitman arm (from what I can remember, it's been a while) but I was always able to get it off if I used enough extensions to ratchet above the PS pump. Clear as mud? :confused1

The only place I could find a stock pitman arm was quadratec.com. They sell for about $25. The only thing I could find locally was a drop pitman arm, and the same goes for most of the online jeep retailers.

I ordered one last week for the same reason you want to get one. I had to wait 5 days for shipping, but express shipping would've been like $100.

Thanks everyone, I'm just going to order one from the Internet. I guess I should make sure you use the XJ arm when switching to the durango box. Anyone know off hand?

Back