• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Race Shock PSI...

XJJD

NAXJA Forum User
I am curious as to what PSI some of you are running in your Fox Shocks, mine are shipped with 200psi and are adjustable from 150 to 250, the spring rate seems to be pretty high. So anyone with first hand experience in adjusting the PSI wanna give up what they settled at to give me a ballpark?

Shocks or air shocks?

I think you must mean air shocks because the nitrogen pressure in a shock is not going to have a big effect on spring rate.

I have like 150psi in my Fox 2.0 shocks.

Valving is going to change more than the PSI in the shock.
I run ~190psi in my Fox 2.0s up front, 30/90 valved. Little slow on the rebound, but that is alright since 90% of the time is low speed crawling. Sometime when I get around to it I'll tear into them and swap it out for a 35/75 or 40/70 and give that a go.

i put 140 in my foa's since thats all my regulator let me go to lol

but its within spec and they absorb shock

We all run 200 in all our race shocks. Valving is what you really want to change. If your being lazy or don't have to tools to pull it apart and redo you can add some to change the spring rate a very little amount but you don't want to go lower as you can get issues with it.

We all run 200 in all our race shocks. Valving is what you really want to change. If your being lazy or don't have to tools to pull it apart and redo you can add some to change the spring rate a very little amount but you don't want to go lower as you can get issues with it.

Thanks, What issues are you having running less than 200psi? Do you have any video of your jeep running the shocks at 200psi?

Valving is going to change more than the PSI in the shock.
I run ~190psi in my Fox 2.0s up front, 30/90 valved. Little slow on the rebound, but that is alright since 90% of the time is low speed crawling. Sometime when I get around to it I'll tear into them and swap it out for a 35/75 or 40/70 and give that a go.

I fully understand valving thank you, do your shocks tend to unload while low speed crawling at 190psi?

Unless you're talking about air shocks, you are way overcomplicating this.

And if you're talking about air shocks, nothing anyone has said so far is relevant.

Air pressure has nothing to do with valving, so no, you don't understand. Air pressure resists the oil foaming and cavitating and so helps the shock valving do what's it's supposed to do when the shock is working hard and gets hot. Once you get a shock really dialed in for go fast stuff you might play with the pressure a little, but for rock crawling and trail running you don't need very much pressure. Excessive pressure will add a little to the spring rate, like an air shock, which you probably don't want for crawling. Most people will never feel the difference between running 125 psi or 200 psi.

Really, we need to know what shocks you're talking about. If they're air shocks, none of this applies. If they're smooth body shocks and not coilovers, there is no spring rate. If you have coilovers the spring rate is with the springs, the air pressure is just to keep the shock oil from foaming when it gets real hot.

Last edited:
Thanks what kind of wheelin do you do?

I put my foot down to the floor and go till the wheels leave the ground then let off ;)

Air pressure has nothing to do with valving, so no, you don't understand. Air pressure resists the oil foaming and cavitating and so helps the shock valving do what's it's supposed to do when the shock is working hard and gets hot. Once you get a shock really dialed in for go fast stuff you might play with the pressure a little, but for rock crawling and trail running you don't need very much pressure. Excessive pressure will add a little to the spring rate, like an air shock, which you probably don't want for crawling. Most people will never feel the difference between running 125 psi or 200 psi.

Really, we need to know what shocks you're talking about. If they're air shocks, none of this applies. If they're smooth body shocks and not coilovers, there is no spring rate. If you have coilovers the spring rate is with the springs, the air pressure is just to keep the shock oil from foaming when it gets real hot.

I would listen to Goatman here, he's went through just about every shock scenario on his KOH buggy, he knows what he's talking about.

Air pressure has nothing to do with valving, so no, you don't understand.

Look dude, I understand fully not sure how else to explain it but I understand fully what valving is and does, I am a former Supercross mechanic, our shocks make your shocks look like kids toys. I had to buy triple bypass shocks for my f’n XJ camping rig just so I could have some adjustability without cracking them open. I have rebuilt more shocks than I could ever fathom counting. I can still smell the fish oil, if you know what I'm talking about then you know. I have worked with some of the best in the business; I managed 2 multimillion dollar motorsports facilities, etc, etc, etc. I’m just asking what pressure some of you have been running in your shocks, now if the answer is “in this redneck sport we won’t know the difference” then just say that. Yes you are correct most people will not ever feel a difference I am not one of them. Thanks for your replies.

Last edited:
Finally, an intelligent response. :)

Not trying to be offensive, but you're asking a crowd that generally runs off the shelf shocks. The prerunner/desert race guys will have some answers but most on the mod tech forum won't. Unless you give some back ground, folks don't know where you're coming from, this is the internet you know.

Hmmm, if you know how to tune a triple bypass, I'd think you know a little about shock pressure. Just sayin'.

Look dude, I understand fully not sure how else to explain it but I understand fully what valving is and does, I am a former Supercross mechanic, our shocks make your shocks look like kids toys. I had to buy triple bypass shocks for my f’n XJ camping rig just so I could have some adjustability without cracking them open. I have rebuilt more shocks than I could ever fathom counting. I can still smell the fish oil, if you know what I'm talking about then you know. I have worked with some of the best in the business; I managed 2 multimillion dollar motorsports facilities, etc, etc, etc. I’m just asking what pressure some of you have been running in your shocks, now if the answer is “in this redneck sport we won’t know the difference” then just say that. Yes you are correct most people will not ever feel a difference I am not one of them. Thanks for your replies.

then why ask? you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, or you would already know the answer to your question ;) Not all wheeling is done by rednecks, tough guy.

Yeah, "our shocks make your shocks look like kids toys" but "can you unsophisticated shock users tell me how to work your cheap ass shocks?". :D

OP, I hope you have a sense of humor. We're having some fun around here and passing info back and forth in the process.

And, BTW, I run shocks that have internal bypass zones, internal hydraulic bumpstops for both bump and rebound, and have positive and negative pressure.....so they're not exactly kids toys. :cheers:

then why ask? you obviously have no idea what you are talking about, or you would already know the answer to your question ;) Not all wheeling is done by rednecks, tough guy.

your a f'n idiot, what are you supposed to be some holloween rerun "the grim jeeper" ohhhhhhh my god. look Dbag just cuz I asked what PSI guys who can afford real shocks are running, Doesn't mean I needed a lecture on suspension 101.

Back