• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a big Impact gun and compressor ASAP!!

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got a warm sunny day (NO SNOW) to replace my damaged wheel bearing/hub assembly. I got the brakes off broke the 3 rear bolts of each side and all I have left in the main hub nut. (which is torqued to 200 ftbls.) I can not get that damn nut off. I tried my cordless 18volt impact gun with no luck. I tried heating the nut with a torch to break it loose. I have even gone through almost an entire can of PB plaster over the last two days and still nothing. I even broke my 30" breaker bar. I guess I shouldn't buy breaker bars from harborfreight. The only thing I havn't tried is a BIG air powered impact gun. If anyone is local and could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. I really need this fixed today or tomorrow because I have more snow on the way in two days and badly need my 4x4 back and running. I will be out in the garage trying other options and will probably not get back to this thread so if you have a suggestion or can loan me what I need then just call me at (909) 238-3333. -Brad.

Mine was rusted on there good, I had to cut the nut off with a torch to get it apart, the 1/2" impact wouldn't budge it at all. If you can get your hands on a new nut it might be easier to take a die grinder or dremel and put two notches in the side of the nut almost all the way to the threads opposite of eachother and use a chisel to split the nut. If you can't get a cutoff wheel in there you could try doing the same thing with a drill it would just take longer.

i just replaced mine and had to mount the tire back on, while on the ground i then used a 3ft cheater bar(round tubing)on a 1/2 inch breaker bar. i only went thru one 1/2inch extension(twisted it in half) and to torque the nut back to spec i put the wheel back on and did the same as removal.
got the tips from gojeeps site.good luck.

Last edited:
I used a 3/4" breaker bar shoved into a 10 foot stick of DOM tube with me and xjpapercut hanging off of the end of it and it still wouldn't budge :D

The tire is back on it with the weight of the vehicle back on the tire so I can really crank on it. I actually added a piece of pipe to the end of my breaker bar which is when the bar broke on me. I really don't want to cut off the nut if at all possible. I have chromo shafts in my front 44 and really don't want to risk damaging the thread on them. That will be my last resort, but hopefully someone close has an air gun that will do the job.

I used a 3/4" breaker bar shoved into a 10 foot stick of DOM tube with me and xjpapercut hanging off of the end of it and it still wouldn't budge :D

wow...bring out the angle grinders (should probably get extra nuts before going that route)or mybe a 300+lb friend hanging on the 10ft cheater/tube. :)
and i thought changing my hubs were a pain.

harbor frieght at least waranties there hand tools.

I will be heading down there in about an hour. I'm hopeful that someone will chime in before then that is local so I can pick up an air gun and compressor at the same time. I don't really want to make two trips down the mountain.

wow...bring out the angle grinders (should probably get extra nuts before going that route)or mybe a 300+lb friend hanging on the 10ft cheater/tube. :)
and i thought changing my hubs were a pain.
Haha well I'm 250 and and I'd guess papercut is at least 200.

I'm on my way down to Harborfreight right now and will be down the mtn. for a few hours. If you are any where near Loma Linda, Redlands, Beaumont, Banning, Mentone, Colton, Yucaipa, etc. and would be willing to loan me a heavy duty air gun and compressor please give me a call. I will have it back to you by tomorrow. My number is posted up at the top of this post.

intisieze...its your best friend....LOL

gotta let me know b4 10 tomorrow holms.

peace
ted

Ted I really appreciate the offer but CrazyJim actually let me borrow his gun and compressor late last night. As soon as I got home I hooked it all up aired up the tank and went on the offensive. Each nut took a while with the gun but eventually I got both off. Thanks Jim. I will be back down by your place to return everything in a few hours.

Good to hear!! Jims got a great gun and the neighbors won't hate you (even up where you live) for sounding like a NASCAR pit stop (quiet).

Awesome Brad! Glad they worked out for ya and that I could help out. I'm not on here much anymore it seems, but I like to return the favors NAXJA has given me throughout the years.

I hope you got my message earlier today. I dropped off the compressor and gun about 9 this morning. I put them on your side yard like you asked. Once again, I REALLY appreciate loaning your tools to me. I couldn't not have done it with what I had. NAXJA to the rescue once again.

Hey Brad,
Just hopped on NAXJA and saw this. Your always welcome to my big compressor and impacts here at the house if you need them. Just give me a call in the future.

Back