• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

does the XJ track bar really need a bend in it?

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
does the XJ track bar really need a bend in it?

or can it just be straight?

I am planning to build one pretty soon, either using a heim and a bushing or a pair of bushings

will also be making a nfrom ew mount and a support brace that goes rail to rail

and if we didnt need to breathe air, we'd be fish.

it needs the bottom bend to clear the oem bracketry, and the top bend to clear the diff.
both could be eliminated, assuming your running OTM steering/trackbar, and a 2wd diff.

pull the shocks and coils out, drill holes in a piece of 1x2 wood cut to length and bolt it in like it was your trackbar, and cycle the suspension from full droop to full bump. if the wood hits anything it needs to be bent to clear it, as xcm said. most likely the diff cover is going to be the main issue, but it might come in contact with the steering linkage as well. at full bump turn the wheel from lock to lock to check that out. cheaper to try the straight bar with wood than to cut a piece of tube and not be able to use it, it will be too short once you bend it if its just right when its straight.

i didnt even think about it hitting the steering... and that changes for everyone who uses differant kinds of steering.

this part is probably the easiest part to fix, im sure you could short it here. redlines are APPROX angles, but dont forget the redlines are CENTERLINES, if you use 1" tubing, thats another 1/2" clearance you'd need.

I had Andy@ironman4x4fab make me a custom straight track bar cause the custom bar with the bend was hitting the pan(good for lower jeeps):
dscn7227.jpg

Back