• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Viper 5901 Remote start install issue

fattmann

NAXJA Forum User
Recently acquired a Viper 5901 remote start/alarm unit for cheap. Tackling the installation myself, save a couple hundred bucks on the install.

Got it all put in as per wiring diagrams I got Directly from Directed Electronics, and using an older installation manual. Alarm works like a charm. The remote start however does not.. I get a "remote start error" followed by 8 flashes, as per the manual that means the neutral safety switch (NSS) isn't grounded. The NSS is, however, on the same ground as the brain box, so I would assume if it didn't have ground, the alarm wouldn't work..

Didn't know if anyone had a suggestion. I know I'll probably get the whole "you're an idiot for trying yourself," something I'm frankly tired of.. lol I'm very electronically savvy, pinned everything out to the T of Directed Electronics. Only thing I could think of (IF all the wiring is right) is that the brain box is wompy, which I've read several accounts of online.

Any input is welcomed, as long as it's positive. Thanks!

1992 XJ 4.0/5sp. Sport (no power anything) Viper is set to Automatic mode, with tach input.

Manual transmission has a NSS???

Just curious as to why you are trying to use this in Automatic mode when you have a manual tranny?

I was briefly reading an online manual I Googled up and it describes different wiring connections for automatic vs manual...

My advice would be to wire up for a manual tranny if that is what you have.

Last edited:
The previous owners took the liberty of removing the neutral safety switch circuit altogether. The Viper systems are a pain in the butt to trouble shoot when in manual mode cause there's this complicated pedal combination you have to do to enable it (for safety reasons obviously).

The plan was to get it working in automatic mode, where the wiring is simpler. Then replace the NSS circuit. This is commonly done on a manual for trouble shooting, so you don't have the NSS circuit as another variable.

found this in an manual online

➢​
Remote start input - 5-pin connector
1 BLACK/WHITE (-) NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH INPUT
Connect this wire to a ground source if installing this unit in an automatic transmission
vehicle. If this unit is being installed in a manual transmission vehicle then
connect it to the emergency brake wire. This input MUST rest at ground in order​
for the remote start system to operate.

Might want to look through the manual to see if there is an inverted polarity setting for the nss input, just a thought.

Just remembered, when I did my Honda that actually has a manual transmission, the unit will provide signal to the starting circuit simulating the clutch pedal being pressed. Don't know if the alarm has an internal check for feedback. I'm away from my pc so can't access my wiring notes.

Last edited:
I'd imagine what notfastenough posted above is the root of your problem. you have to have the clutch pedal pressed to allow the jeep to start, you need to figure out how to give the car that input.

I'll looking into that feed back possibility, thanks.

GrimmJeeper- i guess i should have said Clutch Safety switch circuit, not NSS. The jeep will start without the clutch pedal being depressed, so i just never leave it in gear.

The way i understand it, having the BLACK/WHITE (-) NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH INPUT from the viper system grounded, basically tells the brain box the clutch is always depressed. But it's telling me it's not grounded at all...

I would never want a remote start that could start the vehicle while in gear and clutch engaged. You never leave it in gear is all fine and dandy until one day it is some how left in gear and then you remote start it... Hate to be all doom and gloom but that's how some little kid gets run over.

Got it all put in as per wiring diagrams I got Directly from Directed Electronics, and using an older installation manual. Alarm works like a charm. The remote start however does not.. I get a "remote start error" followed by 8 flashes, as per the manual that means the neutral safety switch (NSS) isn't grounded. The NSS is, however, on the same ground as the brain box, so I would assume if it didn't have ground, the alarm wouldn't work..
did you ground the wire to the body? check continuity between some other ground point on the body and the alarm if possible

did you ground the wire to the body? check continuity between some other ground point on the body and the alarm if possible

The brain box is grounded to an existing ground on a metal support just under the dash (by your knees if sitting in the driver's seat.) The NSS is on the same ground. It checks good continuity to nearby grounds, didn't test pure negative from the battery. The ground chosen also checks out against other 12v constants in the immediate area.

This weekend when i get a break from school i was going to give it a dedicated ground with a sheet metal screw or something to see it it just can't be the same ground.

Back