• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cragar soft 8 on 12.50" tires advise pls

BotakBeng

NAXJA Forum User
Hi ya,
Will be installing my Rubicon Express 5.5" shortarm (RE6200) lift next week :D: and would like some help with wheels and tire combo pls.

This is what i came up with,
Cragar 397 Black Soft 8 Wheel
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac (12.50")

Currently running stock gear of 3.55 on D35 (have plan for D44 and maybe w/4.56 gear in future).
Rig is not my DD and plan on building it as an expedition/trail rig, nothing hardcore.

Some questions before i order,
1) should i go with 10.50" or 12.50"? (10.50" would have to go with BFG as DuraTac doesn't carry them in that size)
2) would i have a problem with my current gear set up to run 12.50"?
3) experience with the above retailer? And suggestion on other retailer?

Thx in advance.

You should get yourself some nice aluminum wheels.

It has been my experience that they don't cost much more, look better, and are more durable.

Hi ya,

Some questions before i order,
1) should i go with 10.50" or 12.50"? (10.50" would have to go with BFG as DuraTac doesn't carry them in that size)
2) would i have a problem with my current gear set up to run 12.50"?
3) experience with the above retailer? And suggestion on other retailer?

Thx in advance.

1. I'd do 12.50
2. I wouldn't run 33" tires with stock gears but that is up to you. I hated 31's with stock gears and had to get regeared within a week.
3. Both retailers are the same ones I use. Highly recommended.

I'd check around for the tires. I got a quote from Sam's Club (doesn't have that great of tire prices) and they wanted $180/ea for the same size DuraTracs. Just looking at TireRack they have them for $154 each, BUT i would have to pay $140 in shipping (=$35 each, =$190 per tire). Plus, if you had a problem with them you'd have to ship them back.

I think you're much better off just checking with your local tire places.

check discounttire/discounttiredirect.com Same as americas tire, will price match. Sears also price matches.

heres a pic comparison, on the left is 33x12.50r15's, on the right pizza cutters 33x10.5r15.

as far as gears, i seriously enjoyed having 4.56, nice and powerfull, let off the brakes at a stoplight and you'll rearend the car in front of you. but recently ran into some problems with my d44 rear, swapped it out for a stock 3.55 chr8.25, i was expecting to hate the gearing, but its really not THAT bad, its definately the differance between a sporty lifted jeep, and one that cant keep up with traffic during the morning commute.

You should get yourself some nice aluminum wheels.

It has been my experience that they don't cost much more, look better, and are more durable.
They do look better but my wallet aren't deep enough :mad:
They are on my wish list tho :)
1. I'd do 12.50
2. I wouldn't run 33" tires with stock gears but that is up to you. I hated 31's with stock gears and had to get regeared within a week.
3. Both retailers are the same ones I use. Highly recommended.

I'd check around for the tires. I got a quote from Sam's Club (doesn't have that great of tire prices) and they wanted $180/ea for the same size DuraTracs. Just looking at TireRack they have them for $154 each, BUT i would have to pay $140 in shipping (=$35 each, =$190 per tire). Plus, if you had a problem with them you'd have to ship them back.

I think you're much better off just checking with your local tire places.

check discounttire/discounttiredirect.com Same as americas tire, will price match. Sears also price matches.
Thx. Gonna give them a call and find out.

We have all said this at some point in our Jeeping career :roll:
Good read!

heres a pic comparison, on the left is 33x12.50r15's, on the right pizza cutters 33x10.5r15.

as far as gears, i seriously enjoyed having 4.56, nice and powerfull, let off the brakes at a stoplight and you'll rearend the car in front of you. but recently ran into some problems with my d44 rear, swapped it out for a stock 3.55 chr8.25, i was expecting to hate the gearing, but its really not THAT bad, its definately the differance between a sporty lifted jeep, and one that cant keep up with traffic during the morning commute.
Thx for the pic :cheers:

Called my local tirerack store and the said they WON'T mount 12.50" tire on a 8" width rim........min rim's width need to be 8.5" :doh:
Any thoughts?

Called my local tirerack store and the said they WON'T mount 12.50" tire on a 8" width rim........min rim's width need to be 8.5" :doh:
Any thoughts?

It shouldn't be an issue, find a place that will install them. In my experience the smaller "mom and pop" shops will do anything you want. Worst-case, slip the guy a $20 and get it done.

i would goto another tire shop, but then again i really dont buy tires new. im 90% positive my wheels are 8's, as are the ones pictured running 12.5's

you could say screw it, and head over to http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi?ct=8 and find something local used, and find a mexiCAN tire shop that can do as you ask.

It shouldn't be an issue, find a place that will install them. In my experience the smaller "mom and pop" shops will do anything you want. Worst-case, slip the guy a $20 and get it done.
Thx guys.
Tireworks is willing to do it but is $17.50/tire to mount and another $25/tire to balance (roadforce)....sounds about right?

nothing like having to argue the point that you cant afford nice aluminum wheels....
steel wheels are FINE. starving (or even eating on a ramen budget for 2 weeks) is NOT worth the differance between the two...

the prices you list sound high, but at big shot tire places that might be the norm, iirc, i paid $40 to have 4 old tires taken off 4 wheels, then put the 4 new ones on, and just a basic balance. this was at a mexican tire shop.

nothing like having to argue the point that you cant afford nice aluminum wheels....
steel wheels are FINE. starving (or even eating on a ramen budget for 2 weeks) is NOT worth the differance between the two...

the prices you list sound high, but at big shot tire places that might be the norm, iirc, i paid $40 to have 4 old tires taken off 4 wheels, then put the 4 new ones on, and just a basic balance. this was at a mexican tire shop.

Thx for the comment.
Project kiv'ed.....deal on the RE6200 fell thru :cry:.

At Big O I paid $12 a tire / wheel to have 5 old tires peeled off / have new ones mounted and balanced (I bought the tires and wheels elsewhere, too). That's only $60 for the whole job, I felt good that day. :thumbup:

I ran 33x12.50's on 8 inch rims on my '96 and there were no issues at all. And as far as aluminum rims being more durable than steel? I guess I don't understand the logic in that...

Good choice. I have soft 8's with 33x12.5s works verry well.

I am also still running 3.07's with 33's and its not the worst thing in the world but my clutch is getting a workout. I wouldn't let it deter you though.

Back