• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LWB TJ bikini top fits chopped 4-door pre 97 XJ like a glove... (PICS!!!!11)

CheapXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Smittybilt LWB TJ Bikini and wrangler roof channel.

Step 1:

Chop back off immediately behind rear roof support:
IMG_20110225_135153.jpg

IMG_20110225_150011.jpg

Step 2:

Open up center of roof, but leave roof supports in, attach roof supports to roof sheetmetal w/ self tappers, the buzzbox, gorilla glue or wrap three rolls of duct tape around it.
IMG_20110227_182343.jpg

IMG_20110227_182244.jpg

Step 3:

Cover all sharp edges with cheap-ass rubber stick-on door edge trim
IMG_20110225_150022.jpg

Step 4:
install TJ windshield channel... Remove all brackets, plastic and hardware, line up the leftover hunk of metal right in front of roof ribs and screw/bolt it down, you will have to make it conform to the slightly different shape, but the fasteners will pull it into place.

then slip the top on and strap it down, if you line it up correctly, the front edges that should wrap around the rollbar are actually held in place by the top of the doors (velcro tape on the sheetmetal will work for the times the doors aren't there)

IMG_20110302_183659.jpg

IMG_20110302_183643.jpg

I don't know what it is, but I'll be damned if I EVER get anything other than an sub $500 87-90 XJ/MJ ever again... F the 91+ chrysler bullshit, went through every year but 92 since my last 89 XJ and they all XXXXing sucked. so to be real, after a five year hiatus CheapXJ is back bitches!

o yeah, current plans:

d30/8.8 4.10s (no opening up axles, buy them shits from the upull and slap 'em in unless i find an XJ D44) 760 size shafts

95-96 MC/Booster swap

stiff front coils, stock arms, shooting for approx 4" lift and F the swaybar.

np242, yj yoke, stock everything else.

OBA (heat and a/c are coming out, they don't fn work at all anyways)

33-35 inch tire range.

strip the rest of the interior, remove all power options, build "trail doors" (chopped out lowers with a canvas insert, or just straight up canvas doors, not 100% sure yet which way I wanna do it)

if anyone wants to see it in person it'll be at the 4 Wheel Parts near Busch Blvd. and Florida Ave in Tampa on the 12th. I will do things like drive it on an RTI ramp so you can all see how much they don't fold like tacos when you cut them up. :laugh2:

seriously tho, the bug bit me f'n hard again.

havin a roommate thats a damn good wrench turner helps too. never had one of those before.

That's pretty sweet. Saving for future ideas.

I've already got my frame rails plated and rockers replaced with 2x6 box. Still need the cage.

is the YJ slip yoke longer then the factory XJ slip yoke?
also are you adding a roll bar or cage?

the YJ yoke has clearance for a steeper angle at the u-joint:
YJyokevsXJ-MJyoke.jpg

(i stole this picture)

i want to get a LWB TJ cage and see if I can cut it to fit, since the top fits so damn good. I'm thinking it will "replace" the leftover XJ roof structure so to speak. but it's surprisingly solid feeling for having had a major structural component hacked to bits

I just needed something to motivate me to get the ball rollin... nothin like makin 148lbs of scrap metal to accomplish that.

effing baller.

my buddy has a shortbed tonneau cover on his choptop that i thought looked/worked great but this looks even nicer. kudos dude.

Back