• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help, quick. D30 axle seals leaking

madmike283

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished replaced my ball joints a few minutes ago. Did driver's side first. When I moved to passenger side and jacked the axle up a little on that side to not lose any fluid while the axle shaft was out I noticed that the driver's side was leaking fluid after it was all put together. Great, so I have to take that side back apart?

So I finish the passenger side, button it all back up and jack up the driver's side to take it back apart. Now the passenger side is leaking like a sieve. WTF did I do wrong? That the first time I've had axle shafts out so I'm not sure exactly how the seals work. I didn't force anything when putting the axle shafts back in, so I don't think I pushed a seal out or anything (if that's even possible).

What do I need to do here? When doing the driver's side initially having it jacked up a bit the passenger side did not leak. I've never had even a hint of a leak before.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm very sorry for posting in a panic before doing a quick search. Now I'm thinking that it may just be residual that spilled over the seal into the tube during work, and now it's that residual leaking out. I'll go jack it up high on one side and see if the leak stops once the residual is gone. I do have a new RuffStuff cover, so the level is higher than it would've been stock.

Thats a good call,but keep an "eye" on it for a few days as its easy to tear an inner seal!

Definitely residual, your OK. I would recommend draining the fluid first next time so that doesn't happen but you know, hindsight and all. :looney:

Yeah, thanks guys. It was just excess that had leaked over the seal while it was apart. I thought I'd have the end of the axle high enough it wouldn't leak over but with the new cover and higher capacity it did.

Back