• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2N49 got the best of me

Hakeeb

NAXJA Forum User
So this weekend I finally(after nine months) got my jeep running. So a friend and I decided we would go up 2N49 on saturday. We were only able to get up it about 2/3 of the way and could not make it anymore due to snow and ice. Today we tried again and got about 300' from the summit of the front mountain and again got stuck in the snow. The cherokee is still stock and the tires are pretty old and worn down street tires. Is it normal for the cherokee to have problems in only about a foot of ice and snow or could my problem be the tires? or perhaps is there something else that is holding me back?

I would say the tires are your biggest problem. i went all over glamis in my stock xj on street tires aired down to 10psi, but they weren't worn out.

I know sand isnt snow and ice, but some of the same principles apply. air down your tires to 20lbs or so and on a street tire i would think you should have at least 40% tread or so to make a difference.

Did you try cables or chains on your tires?

That sounds normal...

Bald tires = spin on slick surface

Stock driving through snow = You are more the likely fighting the snow and dragging under the jeep/pushing it causing the tires to spin

+1 on lockers ... living in crestline with constant snow/ice/slush and hills you get frustrated trying to drive over the stuff with 1 tire front and 1 tire rear slipping and spinning....

Lockers and snow are not always what there cracked up to be. I live up in the snow and have hated my lockers many times. My old TJ had full lockers front and rear and I lost control of it numerous times. Once the wheels spin and then lock up you no longer have the ability to turn very well. You add that to a windy icy road and your screwed. You will be in a ditch quick. My XJ had a locker out back with a limited slip up front and it is MUCH better in the snow. I would only occassionally have the rear end get loose on me but my front end would usually pull me through and keep me straight. My WJ has limited slips front and rear and it is AMAZING in the snow and ice. I never have traction issues or feel the front or rear is breaking loose.

actually my original message before I changed it said selectable lockers, which is what I meant... there's times driving in a snow storm that selectable lockers would be wonderful...

actually my original message before I changed it said selectable lockers, which is what I meant... there's times driving in a snow storm that selectable lockers would be wonderful...

Selectable would be real nice. My detroits lock up once a tire starts to spin and that's BAD news on an icy mtn. road. Deep snow and driving in relatively straight lines then the lockers are awesome.

Selectable would be real nice. My detroits lock up once a tire starts to spin and that's BAD news on an icy mtn. road. Deep snow and driving in relatively straight lines then the lockers are awesome.

Yeah, i almost lost it last time i was up in your area on those ICY roads... no thanks!

I was driving down 38 on Sunday afternoon and saw a bunch of XJ's heading up the mountain... was that you guys?

I was the only xj in my bunch.there were 2 new rubicons and 2 2006 rubicons so no it wasn't me.8 was suprised that I didn't see not even 1 xj out there.

Back