• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XR10 rtr kit

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
Since I know we've got a few rc crawlers in our chapter, I figured I'd ask your advice. I want an XR10. This'll be my first "real" RC. I've had some nice ones before but never a hobby quality one like this. My prior experience is the Nikko Brat and Radio Shack Rock Runner, both back in the mid-90's. I could only find one RTR kit and that is here. Looks like a decent overall kit, but I know nothing about all this. It's running for $550.

The other thought is to get the Summit from Traxxas. This would seem to be about the same cost and give me kind of a dual sport rig. Around my house is a lot of open desert, whoops, hill climbs etc, but not much rock action. For any trails or crawling I'd have to go looking for it.

Ideas? If I do the XR10, how does that kit look? What would you change, keeping the price fairly low?

EDIT: Or here is an AX10 kit for far cheaper.
http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/item/5167230/8168656.htm

Or an SCX10
http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/item/6988961/8168663.htm

Last edited:
The xr10 is the best crawler out of the ones you are thinking about. It has MOA (motors on axles) so the CG is very low. The scx10 is more of a "scale" crawler with actual frame rails and solid axles with ring/pinion and a single motor with drive shafts. The ax10 is the oldest of the 3 and not really a good choice anymore. So it all depends on what you are going to be doing with your crawler. The XR10 is one of the top rigs right now for competition crawling and the scx10 is the most popular scale crawler. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I've driven a friend's AX10 and know the drawbacks of a shaft-driven rig, but then I'm not comp level or anything. I'm not necessarily looking to go scale so for now at least, the SCX10 would seem to be out.

I know the XR10 would be the best, but I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a straight crawler or if the Summit would be a better fit since it can crawl and go fast. I don't know, I think I'm looking AX or XR right now. AX for price, XR for awesome.

How's that kit look that the guy put together? Keeps me from having to figure out what would work.

I was gifted an AX10 about a year ago. Ended up dropping $150 or so in upgrades for it, but have had TONS of fun with it since.

Of the ones listed, I'd probably go with the scx10 and then pickup an XJ body for it. ;)

almost all the crawlers can go fast also, just add in a Lipo battery and a brushless setup thats made for RPM... careful though you might find all the "weak links" then...

almost all the crawlers can go fast also, just add in a Lipo battery and a brushless setup thats made for RPM... careful though you might find all the "weak links" then...

Yup!

That summit you speak of has the best of both worlds though. If you're not looking to go with a scaler then i would get the AX10 or the Summit. the summit will be more fun for go fast stuff.

That reminds me. I wanna buy a slash :p

I was gifted an AX10 about a year ago. Ended up dropping $150 or so in upgrades for it, but have had TONS of fun with it since.

Of the ones listed, I'd probably go with the scx10 and then pickup an XJ body for it. ;)
I thought the XJ body would fit the AX10 also?
Yup!

That summit you speak of has the best of both worlds though. If you're not looking to go with a scaler then i would get the AX10 or the Summit. the summit will be more fun for go fast stuff.

That reminds me. I wanna buy a slash :p
Yeah, I'm really leaning towards the AX10 after putting more thought into it. I figure I can get that and search for a good price on the Slash and possibly come out around the same price point while having a dedicated crawler and a dedicated speed rig. :D

Between a regular crawler and a scale crawler, which do you find more enjoyable? Which is easier to find good crawling for? I've crawled an AX10, and it was a blast. Never tried a scaler.

You can get both a scaler and crawler in a G-Made R1 :)

I had to google it, but that thing looks pretty sweet! Portal axles, tube chassis...:D

Just like ALL the other RC kits, it has a few needs to make it a bit better, but I Love mine.

very stable...

R1vertical.jpg

I like my scaler lots. It's pretty capable. A 2.2 scaler would be better for larger rocks. Some day ill build a caged buggy like the one liberty has. :p

Well, ordered an AX10, 2 batteries, and a charger. Couldn't justify the cost of the XR10 for just getting into the hobby. Now, my question is, will the Proline XJ body fit an AX10? I know it'll fit the SCX10.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZUB2&P=FR

It will but it will look a bit odd. You are definitely gonna have to cut the fenders off and maybe bump-stop the shocks but yeah, it will work.

That was my concern. I figured the rear could be a comp cut, but if the front will have to look the same, I might skip it and find a body meant for it. Or just stick with the stocker.

That was my concern. I figured the rear could be a comp cut, but if the front will have to look the same, I might skip it and find a body meant for it. Or just stick with the stocker.

If i had the cash or the time to build one/skills i'd get a tuber chassis. Would look like a KOH rig too. Look into it. RCcrawler usually has some good deals in the FS section.

Stop it! I promised my wife I wouldn't let this become another expensive hobby! :D

Back