• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to choose the correct gearing...

new-xj

NAXJA Forum User
currently my XJ (I6, AX15, 231) D30/D35 w/I believe 3.07 gears. I'm picking up a D44 w/3.55 and was wondering if this would be sufficient for a 3" lift and 31's?

I know I'm going to have to match the front ratio to the rear, but should I be looking into a numerically higher gear (like a 3.73 or something)?

XJ sees mostly highway, but the occasional romp on some trails or on my grandpas land will occur.

So... should I re-gear from 3.07 to 3.55 to match the D44 or should I regear both axles to something like a 3.73 (or higher)?

AX15 & 31s? If you've got the money, I'd go to 4.10s, I ran that for a few years. 3.55 would be better than the stock 3.07s, but I suspect you're still going to be lugging the engine a bit, especially if you're running loaded, or towing something.

the best way to choose the right gearing is to search!

you're only running 31's. dont touch the gearing unless you wanna just get 3.55's axles. 31's, AX-15, 3.55 is about as close to stock as you will get. Don't you dare gear to 3.73 its a serious waste of money. jsust go to 4.10's if you want more umph.

But still friggin search; this subject is beaten daily and there are a bajillion threads on it.

If you never plan on getting bigger tires, just get a d30 w/3.55s from an AW4 XJ at the JY. If you do, determine the max size tire you would run and gear accordingly.

currently my XJ (I6, AX15, 231) D30/D35 w/I believe 3.07 gears. I'm picking up a D44 w/3.55 and was wondering if this would be sufficient for a 3" lift and 31's?

I know I'm going to have to match the front ratio to the rear, but should I be looking into a numerically higher gear (like a 3.73 or something)?

XJ sees mostly highway, but the occasional romp on some trails or on my grandpas land will occur.

So... should I re-gear from 3.07 to 3.55 to match the D44 or should I regear both axles to something like a 3.73 (or higher)?

it will be ok on the highway, you will be able to go pretty fast actually, but in the rocks it crawls way to fast IMO.

As someone else said, just get a 3.55 front axle from a junkyard.

i had 3.07 gears and an ax 15 stock and i got a pair of axles for cheap that are 3.55 and i run 35s with fairly good sucess for how much money i am into it. i ran 31s on the 3.55 gears for a while and it was great off roading and in town, but when i hit the highway.... my revs were way higher than i would have perfered. but even now i pull a 2,000lb trailer 300miles twice a year on the highway. and it suprisingly is not bad at all. i still pass my friends samuri that has a 1.6 swaped into it. but i definately need to get 4.56 soon.

Save the D44 and regear it when you ultimately decide you want to run 35's. Unless you're hard set on the rear disk brakes, I'm thinking the jy axles geared to 3.55 is a better option.

Back