• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best brand for TPS and IAC?

whatevah

It's Yellah!
Either my TPS or the IAC seem to die after every rain storm. I've been using the BWD brand of sensors from the local pep boys, but it's a pain going back every couple months to replace it again even with the lifetime warranty. And I pack the connectors with dialectric grease. Are there any brands that last better? Full disclosure, I do have lebaron hood vents but this is crazy.

Jeep or NAPA.

A lifetime warranty isn't much good if you spend the rest of your lifetime removing/exchanging/reinstalling cheap crappy parts.

I have the LB HV too and has had zero issues with the stock sensors so far in the rain, weird? Are all the connectors sealing properly? You know too much of that grease isn't good, you don't see it all goop'ed on there from the factory for a reason. You should really only have it on the seals, not all down in the contacts. It's mainly used to seal out moisture. By definition it's "di"-electric meaning non- conductive so that may be contributing to you issue. These are more sensitive components and work at lower voltages and the readings are much more critical so I wouldn't mess with them too much. Like I said mine are all factory and work perfectly, untouched. As for new sensors, the dealer ones do seem to be the most reliable for some reason. I haven't tried anything from Napa, I personally won't shop there, their prices are just too ridiculous.

Last edited:
I'm going through hell with the TPS on my '96. Four in the last two years, coincidentally since the recall for the computer re-flash for '96s. I went to the junkyard and loaded up on TPSs and IACs, and they seem to be the best bet, and at five bucks a pop, not a bad price. I just started doing resistance readings on them, and what I've done is use my '92's TPS as a reference, as, even at over 200k miles, it behaves perfectly. Seems the lowest value at idle gives the best performance and tranny shifting. For reference, I also tested a brand new Standard brand TPS I bought from Rock Auto, for forty-some bucks. It threw codes within a week, and the tranny shifted erratically, and kept going into and out of lock up. It had resistance values out of the ballpark! Sunday I put in the lowest value piece, and so far, it's behaving perfectly!

Another thing you want to be mindful of, I was driving home from work two weeks ago, and the tranny was acting up, engine missing, just like another bad TPS. But, the battery volt meter was dancing, and the 'GEN' light came on. Time for a new alternator? Maybe, and it got one anyway. But what I found was a cracked battery terminal, making momentary contact, on and off. Plays hell with the rest of the electrics!

Thanks for the input, everybody. For now, I'll try cleaning out the connectors, be more surgical with the grease and see how that goes.

Back