• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to buy new tires. Need some feedback.

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
So i'm looking to get the GY MTR Kevlars and the only place that offers them for a decent price is Tirerack.com

They have em for 207.00 a tire in the 35x12.5x15 size that i want. They dont charge tax and the sipping is no more than 70. total is less than 900.

Americas tire has them for 230 and they charge tax, invironment fees, disposal fees etc. total from them is over a grand and is more than i'd like to spend. The upside is that the site says they are available usually within 24 hours. Tire rack doesn't have em in stock till April 1st. So im wondering if anyone here has another place where they recommend purchasing. Also, Id you work at a tire shop let me know what you can do as far as pricing goes.

Thanks!

i thought Americas tire will match any advertised price? did you tell them what Tirerack quoted you?

I ordered GY MTR 33" from tirerack.com on Friday and got 'em Monday at my door of course they shipped from Reno NV so no sale tax $811.00 OTD.

Yeah, but for some reason the 35's i want are all on back order. Did they offer you the road Hazard program?

Do you guys recommend i get the certs/ road Hazards? is there a way to obtain them later if say they are not offered from whom i decide to purchase?

Tony (TCM GLX)used to go to Discount tire and buy road hazard on every tire he bought (even those not from Discount tire). Maybe check with them?

Tony (TCM GLX)used to go to Discount tire and buy road hazard on every tire he bought (even those not from Discount tire). Maybe check with them?

IF this is true then i can buy them from tire rack and get the certs later?

I checked discounttiredirect and it cost about the same as tire rack when you companre free shipping with Discount tire vs lower cost and 70 for shipping with tirerack. The upside to discounttiredirect is that they offer the certs for an additional 112.

So now im debating on whether or not to buy the added insurance. Im thinking it will be worth if if i wheel them you know?

When I won some MTRs and had them shipped directly from Goodyear, I took them to America's tire and bought the certs there.

When I won some MTRs and had them shipped directly from Goodyear, I took them to America's tire and bought the certs there.

Hmm... so i take it that the their policy is that you can do that to brand new tire right?

Ill have to call em up later today and find out for sure.

Total price for 35's with certs from discounttiredirect.com is

Total "Out the Door" Price
$1,003.08
kotspacer.gif

Looks like they don't charge shipping. :)

Just a thought, america's tire kicks butt when it comes to customer service, and road hazard. They don't ask questions, they just replace. Also, they are great about matching.

I buy from them regularly for those reasons alone, and I am a cheap mofo. I usually find the lowest local price (even craigslist) and then they match it.

Give em a day or so to get back to you on the price match. I heard from them in about a day or two. They beat tirerack's price, tirerack's shipping, and offer the free prorated road hazard. If you get a nail in the tread, they patch it, if you get a tear in the sidewall, they'll replace the tire for a prorated cost. If you've worn it down 50%, they'll pay for 50% of the new tire is how I understood it. For something like $30 more per tire, you can get the certs for replacement which is the one you want. All the way down to like 3/32" tread depth, they'll replace the tire no problem if it can't be fixed.

EDIT: Also, environment fees are if they mount them for you, same for disposal fees. However, you can choose to keep your old tires as spares and they won't charge the disposal fee.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Discounttiredirect and they have non from the manufacturer and Goodyear doesnt know when they will have em in stock... Bawls!

Try the Yokohama Geolander MT. They're a neat looking tire. Like a Baja Claw without the $$$

i was at Just Tires today and they do price matching and the road hazard for $13 dollars a tire i believe. i asked if they would match an online quote and they said yes. my gf got her tires from them and got a flat and they gave her a new tire, all she had to pay for was the new warranty and mounting. $24 all together for the new tire and mounting.

i was at Just Tires today and they do price matching and the road hazard for $13 dollars a tire i believe. i asked if they would match an online quote and they said yes. my gf got her tires from them and got a flat and they gave her a new tire, all she had to pay for was the new warranty and mounting. $24 all together for the new tire and mounting.

Yeah, same with America's Tire. When I blew a sidewall in one of my new MTRs, they replaced it with no questions asked. They just required me to buy a new cert.

And BTW, America's Tire and Discount Tire are the same company.

another thought is check Costco if you have a membership.. they will special order tires from most major brands and the prices are good... they also pump nitrogen (including free refills if you ever have to pump air) and give a 5 year road hazard warranty... price is for the tires + tax + 15/tire (minus $1 per a tire if you keep em) for mount balance and warranty...

Back