• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fans

Gecko321

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 90 cherokee, 4.0l. I've mounted my winch behind the front crossmember. I'm getting rid of the mechanical fan since it will come very close to interfearing with the winch. I was looking at adding a second electric fan, or just replacing the 2 of them with identical ones. Found one that fits perfectally between the top and bottom of the radiator. But they are small. Only 10". They also only pull 500 cfm. Didn't know if this was gonna be enough to keep the 4.0 cool. There would be either 2 of them, or one and the stock electric fan. Any suggestions?? Does anyone know what the stock electric fan on a 90 pulls cfm wise? Or should I just look into getting a second stock elec fan?

I wouldn't trust a 500 cfm fan with the stock efan on a 90. Perhaps 2 of the newer model curved OEM e-fans.....

A 10 curved-blade fan from a 97+XJ will keep the engine cool. There will be a 4-6" gap in the middle between the two fans but that's fine. My brother was nice and chopped two tabs off a JY XJ and welded them on for me(2 stock 96 8-blades):
p5220098.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I had figured. Didn't think that it would be enough. Might look into the dual 96+ fans. Just gotta find a JY newer models. The ones i was looking at fit perfectly though. was gonna try and put three across, but there's just not enough room on the core. Might look into a taurus fan if i can find one. Does anyone know what a stock fan pulls CFM wise?

I don't know of any 10" fan that can flow 1550 CFM. There are a few that are over 1000 CFM but they're expensive and motors are too thick to fit in the stock location.

XJ – Electric Fan Conversion Kit -

http://www.wilsonfabworks.com/featured/xj-electric-fan-conversion-kit/

The kit comes with three 10″ electric fans, with a CFM of 4650 CFM. Fan mounting brackets, three fans, temperature controller, relays and sensor.

Installation will require installing sensor probe into upper heater hose and minor trimming of upper radiator support.

Optional Temperature switch will turn the 3rd an on only after the engine has reached 180 degrees, without the temperature switch the 3rd fan is to always be on with Accessory Power.

Price: $149.99 with no fan controller or temp switch.

XJ – Electric Fan Conversion Kit -

http://www.wilsonfabworks.com/featured/xj-electric-fan-conversion-kit/

The kit comes with three 10″ electric fans, with a CFM of 4650 CFM. Fan mounting brackets, three fans, temperature controller, relays and sensor.

Installation will require installing sensor probe into upper heater hose and minor trimming of upper radiator support.

Optional Temperature switch will turn the 3rd an on only after the engine has reached 180 degrees, without the temperature switch the 3rd fan is to always be on with Accessory Power.

Price: $149.99 with no fan controller or temp switch.

Word for word from the dirtboundoffroad.com site. Funny

I have to think that for that price the fan is made in China and they put an extra one in front of the CFM rating. I would sh!t myself if that thing actually pulls anywhere near that CFM.

I noticed in digging around before I bought my electric fan (not a JVT brand, but very similar in appearance) that half a dozen different brands were virtually identical, and were made overseas. I also noticed that of the JVT brand fans I found, the 9, 10, 12, 14, and 16" fans had the same ~7A, 1550 CFM, 2200 RPM rating. That alone makes me a little skeptical.

edit- I'm not calling Max a liar, or saying the fans don't work well, just that the limited info I'm finding so far doesn't mesh. My cheap ebay-sourced "ProComp" (not that Pro Comp) fan has actually been pretty good.

Last edited:
Word for word from the dirtboundoffroad.com site. Funny

Well Dirtbound Offroad = Wilson Fabworks

From the site:

"Wilson FabWorks is now Dirt Bound Offroad

Wilson FabWorks is now Dirt Bound Offroad.​
What does this mean? Well, for starters it means we will be focusing not only on in-house fabricated products, but we will also be bringing competitive pricing to many other brands of offroading equipment.

Second, “Wilson FabWorks” will still be around, but now ”Wilson FabWorks” will be a brand name for our in-house fabricated products, sold exclusively though Dirt Bound Offroad.
We hope to be able to better serve you in the future with:

• Faster order turn around times for in-house fabricated orders
  • Better phone support
  • Online order tracking system for real time order status
  • Lower prices on popular offroading products
See you on the trails!"

I have to think that for that price the fan is made in China and they put an extra one in front of the CFM rating. I would sh!t myself if that thing actually pulls anywhere near that CFM.

It seems almost any 10" fan I find has around that same number of cfm give or take.

I cannot find a website for jvt to reference their data.

I noticed the same problem when ordering fans at summit racing. Sometimes the specifications are for the largest fan in the series. You have to double check the manufactures website or give them a call.

Back