• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Tune Up

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
92 XJ Laredo 3.5" of lift stock 3.55 gears and run 30x9.5 when not running trails.

Lately my 4.0 has been feeling pretty slugish and the AW4 doesn't feel like it is shifting on que. It takes a while to shift out of 2nd gear while driving city speeds of 30 mph, hangs around 2500 on the tach before shifting :(

the aw4 has fresh fluid and filter, plus a B&M super cooler as of last month

i plan on doing wires, distributor and air filter soon, but are there any linkages that i can adjust that help the transmission decide when to shift?

Nick

AW4 is controlled by the TCU.
You can adjust the TV cable. There are links somewhere around here.
Don't forget the fuel filter.

My cherokee is pretty "modified." I feel like this question doesn't apply to the stock thread nor the advanced thread.

Thank you,
You can sit down now.

Irregardless of how "modified" your heep is, tune up questions still fall under OEM tech, which is where I'm moving your thread.

This is an OEM tech question.........

Don't forget about the "throttle position sensor".

It is directly involved with the transmission shifting characteristics.

And, it fails way more frequently than the TCU.

It can be tested, which is highly recommended. Factory Service Manual always leads you to testing of this sensor.

Replacement is not expensive.

This is an OEM tech question.........
Well I wasn't sure if having an aftermarket transmission cooler made it different.

Thanks for the help guys. I now something needed to be adjusted but needed a starting point! :rof:

Plugs, cap (brass contacts only), rotor, plug wires if it has been a few years, and the air filter.

Tested your fuel pressure lately? Remember the last time the fuel filter was replaced?

There are a number of adjustments that will effect how the AW4 shifts. First, adjust the shift cable, second the NSS, then the throttle pressure cable (NOT a kick down cable), and test the TPS.

in my humble opinion, measure the tps first!!! low fuel pressure will show up as hard starting/bog/ misfire under throttle.. a tune up will show up as a hard misfire even wide plug gap or rotor/cap gap would cause no start way before a shifting ordeal... the only other non related issue that will cause high upshift/lack of power is a plugged converter/ exhaust. then go towards the tranny! honestly, unless the throttle cable snapped, i dont see how it would be this noticeable, this fast...

Back