• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel spacing

Psykotrp

NAXJA Forum User
Hey y'all,

I wanna put 15x8 rims on my XJ.
I know the bolt pattern and all for the stock 15x7 steelies but should I get a different backspacing or offset on the 15x8 so there's no rubbing? Also I don't want them to stick out too far. I believe stock is 3.75 backspacing 19mm offset. Also it's at stock height and I need new tires too. Any ideas on tire size for 15x8 rims

If your buying aftermarket wheels, get some with the proper backspacing for your tire! 11.5-12.5 is a good width for a 8" wheel on a jeep.

EDIT: my bad, I thought you were asking about wheel spacers. I believe stock wheels have like 5" of back spacing. Any cragar style steel wheel, or like a 15x8 American racing outlaw wheel will have about 3.5" of back spacing. Which is perfect for a 12.5" wide tire.

I would only suggest wheel spacers if you have some really sweet stock wheels. you could run like a 33x10.5 just fine on stock wheels.

Last edited:
3.75 is what alot of us run and no that isn't the stock backspacing, stock I think was closer to 4.25-4.75 range. I am running it with 33x12.50x15 tires so I do rub at full turn. But other than that I have no rubbing issues.

I don't wanna sound stupid but isn't 11.5-12.5 a little wide for a stock ride?

are you talking about your stock ride?

Then yeah 30x 12.5's would be a little wide!

Also it's at stock height and I need new tires too. Any ideas on tire size for 15x8 rims

225/75/15 (stock), 235/75/15(slightly larger than stock), or 30x9.50x15(also slightly larger). I wouldn't attempt to go any larger than that. I had no problems with 235s at stock height.

The tread on a 225 or 235 is going to be narrower than an 8" wheel; something to consider. I think it looks odd, but if you like it, go for it.

Some stock Jeep wheels came in 8" rims, especially later TJ Wranglers. My son has '06 wheels with the stock 30x9.5 tires, and has no issues.
06Wrangler.jpg

He got a set of five, with unused matching spare, for $125. The four used tires have more than 50% tread, and the wheels are cherry. Deals are out there if you hunt, and they are REAL Jeep wheels, no fitment or balance issues. He'd bought an aftermarket clone of these, and they were horrible. These are perfect.

We got them just above Princeton last summer. Guy was cool about it, too. Just got back from Iraq, put big black steelies and mudders on his '06 Unlimited, and just wanted them gone. The tires alone, even used, were worth the price, but the wheels are flawless. Now, if I could find some perfect Teardrop/Snowflakes/Starburst...
95grand.jpg

I'm thinking the 30x9.5 too, so a good backspacing for a 15x8 "cragar D window" would be like 4" ?

I put some cragar soft 8's that are 15x8 with 4" backspace on yesterday. If you plan to air them down you might run into issues with the beads staying seated. I'm just waiting for warmer weather to put the lift and bigger(wider) tires on... This is it with no lift at all. I am getting a little rubbing on the back of the inner fender/fender flare. My back is sagging a little from the 4 old tires/rims being back there...

jeeprims.jpg

Back