• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still NOT Running

Stukboy

NAXJA Forum User
I havea 92 4.0 totally stock motor.

I have changed:
coil
crank sensor
cam sensor
plugs
fuel filter
fuel lines
cap/rotor/distributer
plug wires

What it does:
cranks very well
has spark at the coil wire
when i crank it, it sparks once then loses spark after that
but it continues to crank.
It will not fire and run.

what do i look at next?
thanx for the suggestions.
Stukboy

This is one of those strange ones which could be a computer problem. Would be nice to swap in a salvage yard computer to see if that resolves it. Only other thing I can think of is the ignition switch.

Was there any work done on this and the no-start happened AFTER that, or did this just happen all of a sudden? If any work done, of course you must go back and look at the work performed.

No, no work done on the ignition.

It was suggested to trace the wires from the cam sensor to
the computer and check for continuity(sp)
also from the coil to the computer.

It juststarted all of a sudden with no warnings.

Thanx for the suggestion.

As for the computer don't they need to match??
I mean there are a lot of models in 92 with differant combos.
Don't I need one from a XJ with the same stuff as mine?
Stukboy

Yes, you need to have a specific computer for your year/transmission, etc. Can't tell you exactly which ones will work, but a salvage yard should have that information.

The problem I see with a continuity problem is that you mention that it sparks "once". If the wiring was OPEN, you wouldn't theoretically even get that.

DUDE this sounds EXACTLY like my 94 ZJ 4.0/auto. I have even done everything you have done. Mine refuses to fire, but also sounds very healthy when cranking.
-coil, wires, plugs, cap/rotor.

I also took apart the throttle body and cleaned it with TB cleaner and a toothbrush, then threw on a new gasket. I also replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump relay, and ASD relay. AND I replaced the Crank Position sensor on the trans. When I replaced the cap/rotor, I removed the Cam Position Sensor and cleaned that with electrical cleaner. I unplugged every electrical connection and added some dielectric grease.

OBD1 XJ's and ZJ's are almost identical, in fact I believe ALL 4.0/ auto/ OBD1 jeeps use the same computer.

I am unbelievable frustrated with it, but I know I will be happy when I get it running good. I bought it from my friend for $200 after it just left him stranded randomly after years of reliability.

SO is there anything that worked for you that I should try? Im about to just grab a used computer from the Pick and Pull, I heard there known to go bad on these early 90's jeeps.

Do you get fuel??? If not do not forget tho check that stupid resister(long white block with two wires to it) on your fender. I had a bad one and ended up saying ta hell with it and bypassed it. This was on my 89' but I am pretty sure the 92's still had them, the one I worked on did anyways.

WOW, Thanx guys. Lots of ideas.

Let's see,
orange--Yes I have fuel pressure at the rail and yes it holds. I run a fuel cell with a Holly fuel pump in the "framerail". It's very easy to hear it running and it runs strong.

The battery is brand new and hooked up to my Expedition so I don't kill it while trying to start it.

magimerlin--I replaced the resister already.

birchlakeXJ--True on the continuity!!

austinaubinoe-- I replaced the crank sensor, I also cleaned the throttle body but didn't take it apart.
I sprayed cleaner in it while trying to start it. That didn't even work.

I guess that settles it, time for a new,to me, computer.

Stukboy

PS: OK, I just found an exrta computer in my garage for an XJ. There are no marks/tags telling me what year it is from.
Since I have parted out several in differant years I don't remember which one its from.
Will I kill anything if I hook it up and it's from a 95,96,89,88,94?????
Yes, these are year XJs i've parted out.
Thanx again.

Last edited:
You need the same part number as the one in your XJ. I used to have a 91 with the same problem. We (friends) wound up tring everything possible including replacing the dizzy. Wound up calling the dealership with the vin and the wrong computer was in it. Got the right part number one and she fired right up and ran like a top. I would look in the yards for one with the same options and part number as you have now.

Last edited:
87-90 computers will say Renix on the label!

Have you cleaned the HC coil input contacts underneath the HV coil. and cleaned the ICM contacts that connect to the HV coil? Also have tried swapping out the ICM/HV coil assy? Checked the wiring and signals to the ICM?

How about the engine to battery ground? The engine must be grounded to get more than one spark. ICM is and electronic module too!!! It may be dying.

87-90 computers will say Renix on the label!

Have you cleaned the HC coil input contacts underneath the HV coil. and cleaned the ICM contacts that connect to the HV coil? Also have tried swapping out the ICM/HV coil assy? Checked the wiring and signals to the ICM?

How about the engine to battery ground? The engine must be grounded to get more than one spark. ICM is and electronic module too!!! It may be dying.

This thread is regarding a 92.......no ignition control module on those.

Checking/freshening grounds however, is never a bad idea.

This thread is regarding a 92.......no ignition control module on those.

Checking/freshening grounds however, is never a bad idea.

What did they replace the ICM with? I thought the ICM & coil was the same all the way till they went coil packs in ? Haynes says nothing about eliminated the ICM till year 2000?

Edit: I checked AZ online, no ICM listed, so did they move the ICM into the ECU in 1991 with the HO engine, and the switch from the Renix to the Chrysler ECU?

Last edited:
What did they replace the ICM with? I thought the ICM & coil was the same all the way till they went coil packs in ? Haynes says nothing about eliminated the ICM till year 2000?

Edit: I checked AZ online, no ICM listed, so did they move the ICM into the ECU in 1991 with the HO engine, and the switch from the Renix to the Chrysler ECU?

I believe that is correct.

The also moved the voltage regulator to the ECU in 1991 as I understand. I wonder if that is why the RENIX ECU last forever and the Chrysler ECUs fail?

So, I was told by a friend at my Jeep club meeting tonight that even though I replaced the crank position sensor that that is still my problem.

He is telling me since I bought the replacement at Pepboys and notthe dealer I will still have the no start issue.

He also told me to bite the bullet and get one from the dealer.

Should I or not?

Will it really be the cure??

Opinions????
Stukboy

So, I was told by a friend at my Jeep club meeting tonight that even though I replaced the crank position sensor that that is still my problem.

He is telling me since I bought the replacement at Pepboys and notthe dealer I will still have the no start issue.

He also told me to bite the bullet and get one from the dealer.

Should I or not?

Will it really be the cure??

Opinions????
Stukboy

grab yourself a multimeter and test the sensor.

I have seen an aftermarket sensor that tested good, but the way it was mfg. prevented an installation that allowed the sensor to work properly.

I buy plenty of aftermarket parts, but the crank sensor and the oil pressure sending unit are two things that I always buy directly from Jeep.

ICM was indeed done away with after '90. dizzy was done away with after '99.

I'd have to say you should test the sensor - wish I knew of a better test for the '91-'01 sensor. An oscilloscope would show the signal quite nicely if you had one, makes me wish more people had them on hand. I think it was McQue that posted up a pic of the signal he captured from his '91-'01 CPS using his oscilloscope a while ago.

Back