• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire wear

EFR98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98 with 33" Big Horns, 4.10s, locked (aussie) 8.25 rear end. My rig is daily driven 25 miles a day. The tires were bought middle of '09 and the first tire rotation was done beginning of last season.

Ok I had the XJ up in the air the other day and noticed my right rear tire has considerable amount of wear in the center compared to the others. The sipping lines are completely gone from the center lugs where the other tires look new. Tire pressures are set the same all around so I'm going to count out over inflation. Need some ideas on why one tire is wearing faster than the others. Thanks

is it possible that one of your rear dums is dragging? Or E brake cable not adjusted correct on that side??

bought in 09, rotated last year? uhm, rotate em more often. not rotating tires makes some crazy ish happen... not saying that is your issue in this case, but from a general tire care stance

How often do you rotate your tires? I do mine about once a year, and my 35" SSR's wear pretty even.

I'd measure tread depth to confirm extra wear on that tire...siping might not have been done to the same depth on all tires.

Maybe you turn one direction more often (right) making the right tire spin more frequently than the left? Just a crazy notion.

You have a lunch-box locker. The tires on that axle need to be very close in diameter.

Remove all four wheels. Mark the ground and sidewall, roll the tire one complete revolution and mark the ground. Repeat for the other three tires. Put the two closest in diameter on the Aussie locker axle.

Other than that, Flyfisher's idea of an inconsistent siping depth seems logical.

Also, you need to rotate your tires at a maximum of every 5000 miles.

When you guys rotate tires do you just do back to front or back crossed to front, front straight back?

Back