• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Default Experts Help Diagnose Starting Problem

Ghetto2315

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ that has 31K original miles. I have babied my XJ since day 1. I have a Crimestopper SuperRage CS2011 remote start. Every time I go drive my XJ I use my remote start. Using the fob, lock is 1 beep, unlock is 2 beeps, and start is 3 beeps.

Well recently, my XJ's battery was low so I couldn't start my XJ. Trickle charged my XJ and the next morning, proceeded to start my XJ. Hit the start button, 3 beeps and nothing. Walk up to my XJ, hit unlock with 2 beeps and doors don't unlock. Get in to start manually. Put key in, turn one click and usually that turns on the "Accessory Mode" and then the second click is to start the engine. Well with once click to Accessory Mode and the engine starts to crank, starts, and it's running rough but it sounds like it's still trying to crank.

So now running while in Park, I put it in Reverse and the noise goes to way and is idling fine. Then to Neutral and it's the WORST grinding noise in the world (same exact noise when your Jeep is already started and while running you turn the key to start again and it grinds). Got scared and immediately put in to Drive and grinding noise goes away. Test it again and put it back in to Neutral and grinding noise comes back.

So Reverse and Drive it sounds fine, but in Neutral and Park it grinds.

What the hell is going on?!?!?

EDIT: I disconnected the negative terminal of my battery to reset the ECU for 2 hours and reconnected and that did not resolve the issue. Disconnected and going to leave overnight to see if that does anything...

Back