• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ tie rod???

kf_chris

NAXJA Forum User
So this weekend I bent the stock tie rod twice while out wheeling. I have a ZJ rod in my parts pile and was wondering if it would be worth it to replace the TRE's on it and put it under the jeep. It's not so much and "upgrade" so to speak, but it looks a lot thicker and would hopefully hold up to the larger than stock tires and locker better than the stock did. I'm going to probably/possibly go with the Currie kit as a replacement when the wife allocates funds for that, but in the mean time I was wondering what the plus side of the ZJ tie rod would be, has anyone done this?

Thanks guys.

As long as it is out of a V8 zj it would be stronger then stock, and if it's out of the 4 liter it would be an exact replacement. A lot of people run the v8s as an upgrade over their stock tie rod.

I don't know where it came from...it is a lot thicker then stock. I took it out and compared side to side and it's about twice as thick give or take.

I just did that on my XJ. One hell of a steering upgrade. Not only that, but the adjustment is not turning the entire rod, but just one buckle on the drivers side.

Just did it on my xj, it's was a joke to throw on. It actually aligned my jeep right because the previous jeep it was on before was spot on already.

I've got the ZJ tie rod on mine Chris, and i'm very pleased.

You'd only be able to replace one of the rod ends (driver side), as the passenger side is the entire rod itself.

The other end isn't press in? The boots only really need to be replaced but I'm not sure if that's possible.

It looks a lot stronger tim. I do want to upgrade the whole steering before the crawl. The zj rod looks like a good upgrade for now

I'm running a ZJ tie rod and added the Duralast TRE to the driver's side that replace my stock weenie XJ tie rod. The TRE cost me $20.56 and looks to be fairly well made. I also have a spare ZJ tie rod with its stock TRE when wheeling the hard stuff. That's good insurance.

I've beat the hell out of my V8 ZJ tie rod and haven't broken it yet. It's got some rock scars but has not bent.

Back