• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild or replace?

cliffv

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Everybody!

Long time reader 3rd time poster.

I am the original owner of a 95 XJ Country. After 15 years and 280k miles of faithful DD duties it has sat in the garage awaiting a decision on what to do with it. My original plan was to gut it, cage it, and turn it into a Jeepspeeder but my family and I have decided that it will be better served as a trail/expo/camping rig. I'm not planning on building it for the hammers but I would like it to be capable of handling more difficult desert trails with 2 adults and 2 kids.
The plan is to run a Long Arm lift, 33's, and be streetable. If plagiarism is the greatest form of flattery I would love to build the green XJ shown on the Bushwacker http://www.bushwacker.com/fender.asp# site.

To the questions:

I recently picked up an 8.8 with a LS and 4:10's. I've been looking for a D30 with 4:10's to swap in but would prefer to not have a disconnect axle. I recently passed on an 86 D30 with 4:10's because it had CV axles and I wasn't sure if the axles from my 95 would swap over.
Can I swap over my axles into the 86 housing and go or would I need to swap over my knuckles as well?
Would it be better to find a disconnect axle and remove the shift motor and fork to run the non-disconnect axles?
Or, Just regear my current D30 to 4:10's?

I already have an EZ locker ready to drop into the 30 and I'm planning on rebuilding the LS on the 8.8 until I cash in my beer cans to buy a detroit.

Thanks!

Cliff

I would just regear the axle you already have. Or buy a geared housing from eastcoastgearsupply and swap over your shafts, knuckles, brakes, etc.

I would just regear the axle you already have. Or buy a geared housing from eastcoastgearsupply and swap over your shafts, knuckles, brakes, etc.

Thanks!

I've been leaning that way as well, I'll keep my eyes open for a late model D30 with 4:10's though.

Cliff

Back