• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper Build

John D

NAXJA Member # 788
I decided it was time to change my rear bumper. I wanted something that more closely matched my front. I had been pretty happy with the old bumper, but it was really heavy and I never got around to adding the frame attachments. Also with a 35” spare it was dragging over obstacles. When I did my hybrid cage (adding more weight) it became apparent and the rear was really starting to sag. Add in three kids, tools, and everything else and the back really dropped.

Here she is without any gear…

DSCF0011.jpg

I pulled off the old bumper and did the usual cut-and-fold.

DSCN4361.jpg

I wanted to start with a good base so I ran some 2x3 3/16” tube into the frame rails, marked the holes, welded in some nuts and then put some ¼” plates around the tubes with holes to mount into the original bumper mounts.

DSCN4381.jpg

DSCN0230.jpg

I had a buddy bend up some 1.75” HREW and we started putting it together.

DSCN0155.jpg

DSCN0154.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

Put a nice plate over the top to clean it up.

DSCN0158.jpg

Added the rest of decorative steel with holes and painted her up to match.

DSCN0291.jpg

DSCN0286.jpg

Bumper looks great.
Just curious about how you replaced the nutstrip, I am wanting to do something similar. Do you have any pics of the mods you did to the unibody?

Sorry... I noticed that pic.. No nutstrip anymore i see that. The hole where the nutstrip goes is only like 3/4 in wide. I am assuming you just sawzalled it to the same size as your tube that fits in the frame.

Looks great just like the rest of your rig. See you in Attica. :)

You know it....We already have camp site reservations for Memorial day weekend and a week at the end of july.

Looks nice! I didn't notice any mention of recovery points. Are the holes that are tucked away in these pics where the bumper meets the mounts intended for d-rings or something?

DSCN0153.jpg

DSCN0288.jpg

Love the old fourtrax.

What happened to the H2 Recovery Vehicle sticker, I want one of those. Nice bumper BTW. I was going to do similar mounts but ended up bending a piece of 1/4" sheet and cutting a D-ring tab in it. Looks very good.

Curious if you are putting a tire carrier back then.

I was going to build a carrier to go on there but I have had second thoughts. I only need the spare for the trail and the occasional long road trip so I think I will just throw it in the cargo area. A 35" tire and wheel plus enough steel to keep it from falling off is a ton of weight. I really don't want it hanging off the back anymore. The space is tight in the back because of the cage, but I think I can come up with a mount that will still allow tools and parts.

DSCF0055.jpg

Back