• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best approach for 2" lift in the rear?

1x1_Speed_Craig

NAXJA Forum User
Let me preface this by saying tha tI have searched (here & Google) extensively for months, and know what companies (for the most part) out there offer budget boosts. The thread below is a great one, also, but mentions comprehensive lift packages. We only need rear springs (and/or shackles).

So my 10-year-old daugher & I are building a '93 XJ 2-dr. that will be hers when she starts driving. For anyone interested, photos are about 1/2-way down this page:

I already have a set of TeraFlex BB spacers for the front of her XJ. Her stock rear springs seem to be in good shape - much better than most XJs I have run across. I'm want to match the minimal lift from the front (~2"), and want to get opinions on the best way to go about doing so.
  • Shackles: 2" may be a lot to gain just from longer shackles, and obviously the pinion angle is a consideration.
  • Full-length AALs: I don't want to use "stubby" add-a-leafs due to concerns of premature wear on the stock springs. Brand suggestions?
  • Bastard pack: Good option, but most options I have seen add more than 2" of lift). I do have an extra set of XJ main leaves that I could add to the stock pack.
  • ???
The XJ is going to have 31" tires (we'll be trimming vs. lifting more), and I want to keep the COG low. We're on a budget, but want to get the best option the first time around vs. going too cheap. I'm hoping for some good suggestions as to what rear springs and/or shackles will offer the best ride, and match the lift of the TeraFlex front BB spacers.

Thanks in advance!
Craig (and Mira)

I would really say cheapest/good way for the rear is Another XJ main with eyes cut off into your pack.. Or maybe get an additional pack if you want to put them together before you install them. New bushings if you need, and possibly an MJ shackle if you need more height.
Shackles alone on stock, already worn leafs is not a great idea, can cause axle wrap and faster sagging.
OME 2" lift leafs are great, BUT they usually net 1"+ more than advertised for the MD and HD packs. And I really do not recommend the light duty unless minimal weight will be in the vehicle at any given time.

I have RE 2 in spacers in the front with RE shocks on all 4 corners. I had the 1/2 add a leafs also but broke em and some of my stock leaves in the process. I now have BDS full length add a leafs in the rear with 1/2 in blocks also. Sitting empty the rear has a slight rack to it, about 3 in lift in the rear. When loaded down with everything or trail gear it sits almost level. I've been happy with it for a couple years and it rides and wheels well for what it is. Have made a couple tips to badlands with it. I'm running 31 BFG's on stock rims. I droped rear bump stops and disconnected I get a little rubbing in the front. I also trimmed my fenders and reinstalled the front liners to keep all the road salt and mud out of the fenders. everything was cheap and has served its pupose with this set up.

Last edited:
Seems you solved your issue.., at least for now, lol. Seriously, although you stated that your leaf packs were good, and now that you have a small upgrade.., consider the ideas already mentioned as per; recycling main leafs with eyes cut off, or obtaining long type AALs. POI: My XJ needed leafs really badly.., so went with HD OME leafs with the addition of the AALs, but am not using the AALs right now.., am saving them for any adventure that requires them, or if'in the OME springs soften up. Your XJ build for future useage may find it with some camping gear filling up the cargo area, and a trailer in tow thusly requiring a beef-up that part of the suspension. Keep that in mind enough to keep that rear poundage capacity as somewhat high on your build-up list. The HD OME leaf springs I am using will easily handle a future ProFab 135 pound steel bumper with tire carrier, 2" receiver connection for hauling, and merely balance out the vehicle's OME front coil springs for a level ride. --Just my 2c.

Seems you solved your issue.., at least for now, lol. Seriously, although you stated that your leaf packs were good, and now that you have a small upgrade.., consider the ideas already mentioned as per; recycling main leafs with eyes cut off, or obtaining long type AALs. POI: My XJ needed leafs really badly.., so went with HD OME leafs with the addition of the AALs, but am not using the AALs right now.., am saving them for any adventure that requires them, or if'in the OME springs soften up. Your XJ build for future useage may find it with some camping gear filling up the cargo area, and a trailer in tow thusly requiring a beef-up that part of the suspension. Keep that in mind enough to keep that rear poundage capacity as somewhat high on your build-up list. The HD OME leaf springs I am using will easily handle a future ProFab 135 pound steel bumper with tire carrier, 2" receiver connection for hauling, and merely balance out the vehicle's OME front coil springs for a level ride. --Just my 2c.

Noted. I do have an extra OEM leaf pack, and could rob the main leaf from that, if needed. I'll keep the other ideas in mind, too.

Thanks,
Craig

Craig,

We just installed our "new" leaf packs today on our 2nd XJ. We used another XJ main leaf as an AAL and with the wheels on the ground it sits at a perfect 2" gain for us. The leafs are already broken in so I don't expect there to be any settling or sag to happen.

We haven't driven it yet but I can get you an update after we do. So far I am 100% glad we went with the OEM main leaf....

Eric

Craig,

We just installed our "new" leaf packs today on our 2nd XJ. We used another XJ main leaf as an AAL and with the wheels on the ground it sits at a perfect 2" gain for us. The leafs are already broken in so I don't expect there to be any settling or sag to happen.

We haven't driven it yet but I can get you an update after we do. So far I am 100% glad we went with the OEM main leaf....

Eric

Thanks for the input, Eric. Let me know how it rides once you drive it a bit. I have heard mixed opinions on the ride stiffness.

BTW, we started a complete build thread for my 11-year-old's XJ HERE (lots of details & pics).

Thanks,
Craig

Craig,

Test drove the XJ today after completing the front end budget boost. The rear suspension rides great. Definitely not too stiff - I'd imagine most other full-length AAL are much stiffer... I really like it. The whole jeep drives like a dream now, no clunks or rattles as opposed to my 2000 (5.5" lift, 35's, etc...)

Craig,

Test drove the XJ today after completing the front end budget boost. The rear suspension rides great. Definitely not too stiff - I'd imagine most other full-length AAL are much stiffer... I really like it. The whole jeep drives like a dream now, no clunks or rattles as opposed to my 2000 (5.5" lift, 35's, etc...)

Good to know, Eric. Thanks for the update. :cheers:

Back